Luxembourg Resistance Fighter with a 1921 Thompson

Saw this picture in our national military history museum in Diekirch/Luxembourg. It depicts a resistance fighter from the so called Vianden Militia. The man is Frankie Hansen, who joined the US 8 th Infantry Division in their progression into Germany and was the first non american to get the silver star during WW2 (i think) .The gun might be a french contract Thompson.

Thompson.jpg

• Upvote 2

Annihilator,

Thanks for posting a great picture. Can you tell us about how this photograph is displayed? How you located it? Is there any additional information available or additional pictures of Hansen with the Thompson gun? What nationality is Hansen?

Excellent observation concerning the Thompson gun possibly being from the French contract. I concur with your observation.

The exact disposition of the largest order of Colt Thompson guns will probably never be known. However, it is known the 3000 guns were delivered to France prior to their surrender and enough remained in French service by the Vichy government to warrant the creation and issuance of French manuals or handbooks dated as early as 1941 (and very collectible). Unfortunately, many believe these Colt's were diverted to Great Britain; not true. It was 1150 Thompson guns from the second French order that were diverted to Britain. The second French order or contract was never completed by Auto-Ordnance. The guns set aside for the French were of early Savage manufacture. It is quite possible the Thompson gun in Hansen's hands managed to escape the Vichy government and fight against the German army.

Annihilator,

Thanks for posting a great picture. Can you tell us about how this photograph is displayed? How you located it? Is there any additional information available or additional pictures of Hansen with the Thompson gun? What nationality is Hansen?

Excellent observation concerning the Thompson gun possibly being from the French contract. I concur with your observation.

The exact disposition of the largest order of Colt Thompson guns will probably never be known. However, it is known the 3000 guns were delivered to France prior to their surrender and enough remained in French service by the Vichy government to warrant the creation and issuance of French manuals or handbooks dated as early as 1941 (and very collectible). Unfortunately, many believe these Colt's were diverted to Great Britain; not true. It was 1150 Thompson guns from the second French order that were diverted to Britain. The second French order or contract was never completed by Auto-Ordnance. The guns set aside for the French were of early Savage manufacture. It is quite possible the Thompson gun in Hansen's hands managed to escape the Vichy government and fight against the German army.

TD.

Based on your information on the French Contract, could the caption on this photograph be Incorrect, and these guns in the photo also be from the Original French Contract of 3000?

(Undated photo)

British Captured Thompsons In Use on German Armored Train.jpg

I have seen this photograph previously. I would certainly like to know more about this posed picture, especially the source, date and location. It is very possible the two Thompson guns shown were originally from the French contract. However, it is also possible these Thompson guns were from the 615 Thompson guns exported to Germany by Auto-Ordnance Corporation in 1923 and 1924. While the disposition of these 615 Colt Thompsons is not known, it is reasonable to assume at least some of these guns found their way to the German military. The source, date and location of this well published picture would go a long way in determining the pedigree of the Thompson guns. It appears to me whoever wrote the caption of this picture was trying to include all possible sources. That indicates (to me) the writer is guessing. The first 3000 guns France purchased in November 1939 were never "ex-British Tommy Guns."

All good stuff!!!

Is the mag pouch for three 20 round mags?

Barry

Barry,

Looks like some kind of field expedient magazine pouch...

The vertical foregrip appears to have a Berthier sling swivel. It's a 1921A with French sling swivels...I pretty much guarantee this is one of the 3000 French Colt Thompsons from the 1939 contract...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Annihilator,

I saw the picture in our national Military history Museum and recognized the Thompson 1921.

Frankie Hansen is a Luxemburg native who joined the resistance and was arrested by the Gestapo in 1942. He was beaten and tortured and put in a camp called Hinzert and then he came to Lublin concentration camp. He came free in 1944 as the russians approached and a commanding SS officer let him get home because the officer's family was staying in Luxembourg at that time.

He rejoined the Vianden Militia group a resistance organisation and the je joined the 8th infantry division. He got the silver star because he swam through a river in Germany under enemy fire to cut the wires of the explosive charges of a bridge the US troops needed to advance into enemy land.

here are a few more pictures: Frankie together with his brother Pierre in US uniforms, riding on a motorbike with his Thompson, and a group of militia men holding various guns: grease guns, MP40, MG42,...

hansen 3.png

hansen 2.png

hansen1.png