• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 timg953

timg953

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons and 1911s

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:46 AM

Well, after many years of lusting after a Thompson and wishing I'd been a few years older in '86 I bought a Thompson. I've had an Auto-Ordnance 1927A1 reciever,barrel and frame for a while and never got around to scrounging up the parts to finish it. Today I picked up a 1927A1 West Hurley with a Kerr sling for $650. It has a 4 digit serial number 73xx. Now to modify the mag catch for all the GI mags I've been accumulating and maybe get the barrel lopped off and the Cutts Comp moved back to the legal minimum.
This will have to do until I can come up with the $$$$ for a full auto. If anybody has any 1927 parts for sale let me know, my daughter expects me to build the other one up for her. Anybody know the approximate date of manufacture for the serial number?

#2 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:05 AM

here's the list for years on the semi 1927's

serial numbers & years

#3 TN.Frank

TN.Frank

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, firearms, Hockey, Drag Racing,Hockey,Bull Riding, and Hockey.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:06 PM

LOL, another proud '27 owner. I just got mine last week, paid $625 for the gun plus $32 to my dealer for accepting the gun and background check so it looks like we've got about the same amount in em'. Not a bad deal for a gun that's retailing for $1100 and even if you go thru a dealer and get a new one you'll spend close to $900. I've got a G.I. mag catch* on the way along with a horizontal forearm. My gun was made in '95 so it's still an Auto Ord. It also sounds like we've got the same Idea on chopping the barrel back to 16" including the comp. Do you have any plans on getting a '28 removable stock installed? I'd like one, I think they look alittle better, also if you wanted to get a shorter gun case you remove the stock for storage. I guess once I get my '27 fixed up like I'd like it the next step is to save up and get a full auto. It may take some time to save up the money but in the mean time I can practice with the '27. Welcome to the wonderfull world of Thompsons. wink.gif

*Tommygunner has mag catches already modified for $55, that way you can put the stock one back to preserve the guns parts. Check out their web site in FAQ here.

Edited by TN.Frank, 17 March 2004 - 12:10 PM.

#4 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:39 PM

I have 27 pivot plate I will take down off of evilBay for you.

#5 timg953

timg953

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the production dates. I intend to have it milled for the '28 stock but I'm waiting until I can have both of my frames done at once. I think I'll go piss off my neighbors and fire off a mag. They shouldn't have moved to the country if they didn't want to hear gunfire:)

#6 timg953

timg953

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 07:24 PM

That's pretty much the situation I have now. My neighbor doesn't have any animals so I don't warn him. I use my berm for test firing which is enough to irritate him but not enough to get him out of his house. I never intended to use my property as a heavy duty firing range but I also never intend to have some a__hole who just moved in tell what to do on my own land when I am abiding by the law. Don't misconsture my comment to mean that I was going out just to piss these people off. I was merely running 10 rds thru my '27 in a safe and lawful fashion. they've been pretty good nieghbors since they built thier privacy fence:)

#7 timg953

timg953

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:27 PM

The sheriff here carries his glock in a holster I sold him and I handle all the ccw classes for local reserve officers and deputies at no charge. I wonder what a Colt 21/28 over stamp kit is worth? I could trade the sheriff 3 M16s with 11" barrels for thier non-transferable Thompson. I would hate to see the reciever chopped on that gun. I htought about swapping and putting the parts on one of doug richardson's recievers. One of the deputies has it signed out in his gun safe praying for an amnesty.