Reproduction Canvas Carry Cases

www.ima-usa.com offers new made reproductions of the original case which holds the gun, butt stock, 4 magazines and cleaning rod. Price $69.95 - If its like some of their items it will be made in India. In the past the quality has been questionable... Then again, maybe not!

They are not in their web site - I tried tonight. Get a copy of the gunlist as described - I gave you the page number and issue. I sent them an E mail tonight and asked the cases were in stock - will advise when I get a answer.

I just made a order from them - if its junk, it would not be the first item that I sent back to them. They are good on refunds.

i guess i will order one,since it would be nice the throw a 28sample in for the range.........and if it get's dirty,at 70.00 what you losin..............guess the pakeestaneee's have not heard of good ole american...... "Thompson Greed" yet. if they did they would want.$269.95 for the case,and I.M.A. or whomever would want....$500.00 each......and the next guy would want $700.00 ad infintummmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

wink!!

thanks for the info..............ron

I called IMA this morning and tried to get more information on the case. The person that I talked with could only tell me that they were "in stock and were reproduction cases for the 1921 Colt Thompson". She could (or would) not tell me the color, texture, where they were made, how they were sewed, or any detail about the case. She couldn't tell me if they were for the 21A or the 21AC. She did tell me several times that it was a "reproduction case for the 1921 Colt Thompson". It was almost like she was reading a prepared statement.

Smelled like she was waiting for me to bite. And if I hadn't only two weeks ago made a trade for an original canvas case I probably would have bitten and ordered one.

It would be interesting to see what the cases look like. Hope one of you guys that bought one will post some pictures/feedback here. If the case is nice and accurately made, I'll bet they will sell out fast and there will either be no more (big $$$ for ebay sellers) or the next batch will be big $$$$ from IMA.

• 2 weeks later...
Not yet - as advised I will report when it comes. I have had real cases to compare with and will let you know...

Ron:

IMA had these cases at KCR shoot. They were asking $40. The color looked fairly accurate but the canvas is a softer texture than the original. I didn't have time to see if gun and accessories fit in them. The stitching and construction was not bad - it would make a good display item.

Greg Fox

I missed the IMA bags at KC, I would have picked up a couple for $40. I'm hopfully going to need a couple more. Must have walked right by them.

I got a chance to examine one of the cases from IMA last night for about 30 minutes. A C3 dealer had ordered one and it arrived yesterday. He called me to take a look at it and I stopped by his house for a few minutes. I carried my original with me to do a comparison. This is my evaluation of the case and I would certainly hope that others would express their opinion as more collectors examine the case.

1. This would be an excellent case for a West Hurley or dummy Thompson. It is not befitting a Colt or even a Savage or AO gun.

2. Why would someone go through the process of making a reproduction and not spend the extra time and money to make it a duplicate rather than just a close copy. The dealer said he paid around $80 for the case and I appears to me that a nice duplicate case would have maybe cost another $25 to manufacture hence the retail would be around $125 or so. I don't think anyone would complain about paying $125 for a duplicate case.

3. Anyone who has seen a real canvas carrying case will immediately recognize the IMA bag as a fake. Even from ten feet the experienced eye will know the difference but at one foot the inexperienced eye should know the difference as well.

4. The material was much lighter in weight than my original. The color is a shade lighter than my original. The trim cloth, around the cover flaps is lighter than the rest of the case. On my original, the trim color is only very slightly different than the rest of the case.

5. There is about a 1/2" gap between the mag pouch and the edge where the stock pouch is attached. On my original there is no gap here.

6. One of the brass buckles had letters and numbers stamped on the bottom side. No markings on the buclkes of my original.

7. On the IMA bag there is no backing for the stud in the stock pouch. The original has a canvas backing sewn over the back of the stud to protect the stock.

8. The drain hole in the IMA bag is not in the correct position at the muzzle end of the case.

9. The stud on the flaps were much larger than those on the original.

10. The cleaning rod pouch was of the same material as the case. Also there were two male snap fasteners placed on the bag for the one female snap fastener for the cleaning rod pouch. On the original, the pouch is of a cloth material and only has one snap closure.

11. The top flap of the IMA bag was not positioned correctly when it is closed.

12. The stock pouch flap was not positioned correctly when closed either. This may be because the wrist of the stock does not fit into the pouch like the original.

13. The shoulder strap appears to have been made from scrap material and is even less substantial than the case.

Like I mentioned before, this would be a good case for a WH Thompson and, at the price that they are asking, I would recommend it for anyone who has a WH and wants a canvas case that is shaped like the original.

I wish they would have invested a little more money and time into making a duplicate case that would be suitable for a Colt or Savage Thompson.

And lastly, I hope that no one is suckered into buying one of these things represented as original on ebay. Even if they advertise as a copy, I know the price will be outrageous and it just doesn't make sense for someone to rip-off another person when the thing can be had for $80 from IMA.

Moor,

Repro Thompson accessories and parts have overwhelmed the market place. Some unscrupulous sellers attempt to pass off these pieces as the real McCoy regardless of the accuracy, craftsmanship, and detail inherent in these reproduction parts. The repro Auto-Ord catalogs and FBI/Police cases have been around for the last 40-50 years, but with the bizaar inflation on even the most pedantic Thompson paraphernalia, being burned on a purchase is more difficult to chalk up as just experience.

The case just arrived - when attempting to un snap the straps the snap pulled out of the fabric. All of the snaps are almost impossible in undo. I am sending back, as the snaps are all this way and the fabric will rip at some point. If it were not for the snaps I would have kept item.

Again another item made in India

Bummer, was hoping for a more positve report but thanks for the heads up. Guess this is another testimate to good ol MADE IN THE U.S.A. rather than going the wal*mart way and having everything made in the 2nd or 3rd world by slave/convict labor. Maybe some board member who's as handy with a sewingmachine as Deerslayer is with wood will give us a close copy for those of us with WH or plan to take them to renactments and get them filthy dirty.

BB

Here is the "100% Original"....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...MEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thompson greed or stupid buyers, who knows.

It looks like the case which I received from IMA - at least he was able to get the snaps open, something I found almost impossible to do. One of the snaps ripped out of the fabric. Mine case is on the way back to IMA.

Quality it is not!

The price from IMA is right if the snaps worked - Its a copy,always will be a copy...