Weekend Gun Show

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

I just returned from a 2500 table gun show that is being held in Harrisburg, PA.

They had 2 Thompson's a colt 1928 overstamp and a Savage. The Colt had about a 80% finish with an asking price of $15,000, the Savage had a tag of $9,500.

Found several xxx mags. ranging from 17.95 to as high as $25 each and 2 xx dated mags. for $100.00. One dealer had an L drum AO manufacture for $750. Allegedly NIB. I didn't buy anything all of the prices were a little on the high side compared to local sporting goods shops.

But all in all it was a good experience. biggrin.gif

#2 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2952 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:57 PM

Grey Crow - Please check your e-mail. Thanks, Tom

#3 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1031 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:58 PM

Was the Savage an M1A1 or a 28?

#4 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

Jack--
That sounded like an awful good deal on the Savage. Must have been the M1A1, but I've seen them go for a lot more lately.

#5 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:48 PM

Hawk,

I didn't get a close look at the Savage, the place was like a sardine can.

I picked up the Colt though, the surface looked like it had rust, and was fairly wet with oil.
The selector switches looked like Savage ones to me (smooth). I would have loved to field stripped it to see what parts were inside.

Seeing that both guns are far above my means, I strolled on. rolleyes.gif

#6 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:44 PM

Who had them. Supply that info please. Any numbers please.

#7 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:30 PM

Sure The name is :
Dennis A. Todd
Law Enforcement and Collector
Auto Weapons and Destructive Devices
FFL Class 1, 3, 10

239 Baltimore Pike
Springfield, PA 19064
610-543-7300
Fax 610-543-7909
email DToddMG@aol.com

The Colt had gobs of oil on it and appeared to have surface rust on the receiver.
Also it appeared to have Savage selector switches. No Knurling!

Due to the crowd I wasn't able to speak directly with the vendor or look at the internals.

Good Luck, & Safe Shooting

Jack Ardrey "Grey Crow"

#8 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3637 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 28 March 2004 - 12:15 AM

sound's like two run of the mill thompson's to me,that would appear at local show's>nothing special........and at that price another nothing special................

$25,00.00 for another pair of tommee's.................whoa!!! let me start writin the check..................maybe next year with "Thompson Greed" they will be going for $50,000.00 so somebody here better snap them up right away...........

devine auction here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woink!!

thompson lover's...............

only in america.................... take it easy grey crow.......enjoy!! Ron

#9 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:08 AM

I'm sure he'll have both those at the creek next week. I'll see if he raises the prices on them by, oh let's say, $4k each. I watched a G.I. BAR at a show here in Indy. Dennis told me his price on it was $15.5K. Half hour later as I walked by just glancing at it, his wife told me it was $17K, and a deal at that!. On my way out I walked by and the guy that works for them told me the gun was $13K and could work on that. So let's see what it does in Kentucky.

#10 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:33 AM

I agree! At one stand I was grazing through a few boxes of assorted parts, (none were priced) I asked and herd one guy tell the other that the used extractors were 20 ea. and when he came back to me he said 15 ea. I passed knowing that new they sell for 9.50.

Then they tried to tell me that L drums had no dates on them!

Umm, Yeah, Right!

I guess they thought I came down in last nights rain fall...... huh.gif

#11 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:20 PM

I laughed at that anecdote on prices. It sounds like the sleazoid, lying B.S. I see at every gun show, including one I'm headed to today in N.W. Ohio. With so many nice guys in this hobby, I don't understand what it is that brings out the slime in so many people when they sit down behind their table at a gun show.

Hey wait one second!!! Have you ever been behind the table!! It goes both ways believe me... If you don't like wheelin and dealing, then stay out of the shows.... How do you think we feel when people ask for the best cash price as they stand there... you give it to them, and then they ask if you'll take less.... Uh noooo.... you just ask for me for the best price remember? I love those people when they come back and go yeah I'll take if for the your best I guess... Then you get to drop the hammer.. buzzzzz Sorry that was while you were at the table.... back to full price.... I can't tell you how many times I've had buyers tell me stuff is crap, or not marked correctly trying to beat down my prices.... Just know most dealers would love to price everything at the real selling price, but due to cheap ass buyers beating on them everytime, you have to mark it up as a defensive measure.....

#12 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:04 AM

BidD,
Just remember those sentiments when you buy your next car.

#13 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:44 AM

I've never ever haggled a car price... I will not do it... I ask the price, if it is right I say yes, if not I say no.... It pisses off some salesman but I refuse to play the game, as I know I will lose.... If I hear how much can you pay a month I'm outa there.... If they give me a price and I say no, then they lower it, even if it is my price I was willing to pay, I'm outa there.... Just me and buying cars....

Now guns is a whole other matter.... I argue price all day long on guns selling or buying... But that is not the point Art... The point is that it does not make me a sleaZebag..... It's just gun dealing...

#14 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:25 AM

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I agree with Arthur. Henry Ford once said that 'The best price is not what the market will bear, but what price you can CONSISTANTLY sell things for'. Check Class III web sites. You see the same guns for sale month after month. Sometimes year after year. The only ones I read about people actually buying are always 'great deals' far under the 'market'. Well I will tell you what, those guns at those amazingly low prices ARE the market. Those prices are what Thompsons are being SOLD for (not priced at). If a dealer wants to write a price 25% above market on his guns *&^$@'em, let him sit on it. When he runs out of money (and they always do) tell him that $30,000 Thompson will taste great if he toasts it lightly and butters it on one side. If prices were lowered across the boards we ALL would be buying more FAs and the dealers would be making more sales and thus more profit. EVERYONE is happy and not just the dealers. Thompson greed is only a theory (until you validate it by purchasing at the artificially inflated price). Mark your prices at what you want and do not haggle. That IS the price. Guns or cars. But remember: Stop trying to retire on the proceeds from one sale. I was a dealer for awhile and it annoyed the hell out of other dealers that I constantly under sold then by 20-30%. I made it up on volume, like Ford did. There are economic theories (like Adam Smith) that say 'Every man for himself' but Smith has been revised gents, as well as the Darwinian theories he based his ideas on in the first place.
As for dealers running out of money, I have seen their bankruptcy papers you would be suprised at what the value their stock at then!! If they say then “It is worth $30,000 the court tells them ‘OK, sell it for that’. They know they can’t. Then they want to follow Henry Ford’s theory!!

#15 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:38 PM

GO PHIL!! Next time you hear that "no paperwork ou the door" crap, call the Feds. I will.

#16 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:40 PM

Right on Phil,...you are not alone...I find those table sleazoids don`t last too long ...and never get my business. It seems that it`s gone from `wheelin`& dealin`..to `skewin`& screwin`..sort of like` thompson greed`...I know it is buyer beware,but instead being aware of the product,maybe we should beware of the sleezoid who`s selling instead.my .02,out. wink.gif

#17 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

It's a thankless job being the contrarian and resident nihilist, but I sense the despair about flim flam artists at gun shows. On every occasion I scan the tables for items of interest, I am never dissapointed in being the recipient of a fable to go along with the merchandise. One seller told me that he got this Butch Vallotton knife from a Vietnam vet who carried the knife with him in Hue. When I mentioned that Vallotton didn't make auto folders until 1982, the guy meant that he took it with him when he went back to Nam in the 1980's....Gun show sellers got nothing on used car salesmen when it comes to disembling.

#18 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

Phil now I am mad!! You just made me feel OOOOOLLD!
Following the rules will keep this hobby going. We all need to police our own. Ever notice it is sleezoid 'out the door' types who bitch the loudest when the 'anti gun' lobby starts barking? "Why we ain't doin' nuthin' but exercizin' our consitutionel rights." That is the same as the people bitchen' about how bad their neighborhood is getting when it's their own family selling the dope to the school kids.
Don't let em' pee in the pool AND complain because it gets warm. Turn the law breaking b*&%ards in. Either to the show promoter or to law enforcement. The sleezoid can complain about his unfair arrest and conviction to his new boyfriend for the next 20 or so years.

Chris

#19 awp101

awp101

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:42 PM

PhilOhio: Hear, hear!

You are not alone and we are our own worst enemies...

#20 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3637 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:43 AM

yep!!think how jaded you become after doing show's for 33 year's...........and the many tale's..........i kinda forget the lie's...................since its about every third story out of somebodies mouth..................

so now it's enjoy life................{as if i didn't already!!}

glad to be left with one Colt thompson..................

and if i ever see the dealer trade sample 1928a1..........

[that will be a blessing]

maybe some day we will all grow up..............until then,we will just pass the time,and history to those that survive us.............and hope they can do a better job.....for the next crew!!!wink!!

peace...Ron