Weekend Gun Show

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:57 PM

I know Dennis, he lives right near me, and if I was hauling all that shit all over the country like he does I would absolutely raise the prices, gas, tolls, hotels, tables at the gun shows etc are not cheap.. I'm sure he has a lot of money tied up in his stuff and isn't going to let it go to make only a few dollars profit..

There is a computer show around my area and if you want one little section to sell you wares you have to pony up $1300!! I'm sure a table at Knob Creek cost more then that.

I'm not really sure what is going on with the world these days, we have parts in our computer store that are clearly marked and people ALWAYS ask if they can get it for less then what it's marked??? I never ask for a discount on anything.. If I feel the price is too high I just don't buy it.

How come people don't haggle with the gas station guy when getting fuel? That is clearly the biggest rip off going on right now. Sorry for the ranting, I just hate when people ask for discounts, it really pisses me off.. If you don't like the asking price, then go else where. dry.gif

#22 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:04 PM

If the only way to make profit on the road is outrageous prices perhaps they should step off the road. Ya know, rethink the ol' business plan. Maybe set up a little mom and pop guns and ammo place(bricks), with web site(cliks). Cut down on needless overhead and aggrevation. Bricks and cliks they call it.
Nick, I think the biggest beef we had was the low down dealers bending rules (read as breaking laws) and then complaining about how messed up the industry is getting.

Chris

#23 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

I agree Nick,

I ran a retail shop for 26 years and frequently had customers that wanted to haggle. I would simply reply "sure I'll sell at cost, are you willing to support my family for the next year?" I'll bet they could see my face turning red also. It really pissed me off.

No I didn't haggle at the show at all, but I didn't buy anything either.
We also had a yearly booth at a show for 12 years and kept the prices the same as at the shop.
Man did we make a bundle!
We made it with volume!
It can be done without gouging.

#24 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:31 PM

I almost always ask for discounts whenever possible. Costs nothing to ask, and costs nothing for the seller to say no. You'd be surprised at what kinds of merchants will give discounts. Almost all major retail chains will discount slightly damaged merchandise at least 10% if you ask.

Newspapers, for example, are almost always running special subscription rates that they don't necessarily advertise widely. I grab the rate for a year by paying in advance, and at the end of the year, I ask again.

I walked into a Costco with a friend last week to get him to sign up and kiddingly asked if they had a finder's fee. They said, as a matter of fact we do, we'll add one month to your membership for free right now.

Long distance telephone service is another place to ask for discounts. I use to ask Sprint to match whatever the latest offer I had received was. The first time they refused to match, I switched to a less expensive service.

When I buy a new automobile, I always deal only with the fleet manager. I tell him what I want and what I am willing to pay (based on research of course, and usually it's something like $600.00 over real cost to dealer - including dealer holdbacks, etc.), and my offer is usually accepted. No bullshit games, no dealer prep fees, no undercoating no ScotchGuard, etc. Just sales tax on top of my offer.

I just consolidated all of my bank accounts and loans with a national bank moving into the area and which was aggresively seeking new business, and which was offering great services, great rates, with no fees or other costs - in fact, they paid me $50.00! I asked my old bank to match the terms (whom I'd done business with for 15 years), and when they refused I closed the account the next day.

I bought all of my stereo equipment locally after I had researched the best prices on the web. I came in with the web deals, and asked the local stereo store if they'd match my best prices for the whole set of equipment, and they were quite happy to.

I even got a discounted price on a JD lawn tractor, which is almost impossible to do, by calling around to different dealers until I found a demo that was virtually new. Even got one year's free financing.

I saved $300.00 on a beach house rental last November when I asked if they'd give me the low-season rate for both weeks, even though one of the two weeks was at the end of the mid-season, which is more expensive.

I saved an extra 10% on the auto rental when I asked if they had any additional discounts, and they said if you are a member of AARP, we give an extra 10% discount. (The AARP card is also good for exceptional discounts on eyeglasses, contacts, lenses, and exams.)

I just saved $75.00 a night on a Chicago hotel reservation. I called the hotel, didn't like their price, so I then called their national number, which gave me the same room for $75.00 a night less.

Every year I ask my insurance agent how I can save money on auto and house premiums.

Just today, I asked a local building supply store if they'd match the price of a competitor for some rebar I wanted to buy. They checked the competitor's price, said yes, and I got the cheaper price without having to drive across town.

And yes, even gasoline prices are negotiable if you are a big enough buyer like a municipal government. Alas, I must pay retail gas prices, though the local grocery store chains are all selling gas at the best price here right now, and all offer additional gas price discounts with use of their grocery discount card.

Never asking for a discount, means you'll always pay the listed price.

#25 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:03 PM

Of course everything is negotiable if you got the right juice. Why be a lay down for anything being sold at full "suggested" retail price just because in some businesses it isn't traditional for a perspective buyer to dare make a counter offer? The time is long over due for people to not only consider haggling with ther local car dealerships. How can any retailer be so thin skinned as to be insulted if someone dared make a "reasonable" offer? Nancy Reagan would have told these ultra sensative sellers to "just say no."

Some retailers only want to be order takers and not salesmen. They can only recite the fixed and firm selling price and become fractious at the thought of justifying the price.

#26 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:34 AM

Catnipman,

FYI the AARP is very, very, very anti-gun of all types. They make Sarah Brady look like Chuck Heston.

#27 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:27 PM

You guys seem to want to haggle with everyone about everything little thing... No one mentioned that they haggle over gas prices WHY NOT!!

If you're going to haggle cars, guns and everything else why isn't anyone trying to cut a deal with their local Sunoco station? Talk about LAYING DOWN!!!!

#28 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:29 PM

Nick,
You can shop gas prices by checking out various station prices. You could also try to negotiate with the mechanical pump before sliding your credit card, but unless that computer has HAL's gift for speech, don't expect much of a concession. But why would a gas station owner care if one guy offers him/her .25 cents less a gallon then the advertised price? Is he going to change the pump regulator to suit the desires of one customer with their 22 gallon gas tank? Since the owner is never at the station, nor do their minions come out to wash your windshield, check the oil, or pump the gas, what sort of bargaining power are you going to have with the Circle K minimum wage clerk?

#29 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:34 PM

Nick,
In this case of gas station you are rarely dealing with the business owner and you can not expect a register drone to drop the price.
However, talk to the manager or owner of the station and if you apply for a bussiness acount at that particular station and purchase x amount of gas there per year. Guess what? He will negotiate 'value for volume' and you get a lower price. it goes back to my original quote of Henry Ford's theory. He makes it up on volume.