31 replies to this topic

#21 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:28 PM

SecondAmend,

I wish. I wish. Can you loan me the money biggrin.gif . I would love a mint '21, but I don't have that kind of money to spend right now. I appreciate your input, and I totally understand your sentiment. The TSMG is a true piece of American History and ingenuity.
It is a great slice of History to obtain. Thanks and enjoy your TSMG.

Out,
Johnny

#22 must

must

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:all Thompsons, M1 carbines, & early Mustangs

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:08 AM

wink.gif When it comes to Thompsons, the one you like ought to be the one you own. I own a WH M1 that PK made right. It now has a M1 bolt in it. The last time I went to the gun range, a friend of mine bought along a WW2 1928 Thompson. He let me shoot it & I couldn't tell the difference between the two. There wasn't hardly anybody at the range, so I did a John Wayne thing & fired both Thompsons at the same time (one in each arm). Whata trip that was to see 60 rds. go down the range on full auto (that figures out to be about 1300 rpm when you add them together). Good thing that the friend of mine was the range officer also (he said it was fun watching me do it). One other thing ; I can buy a wheelbarrel load of new 30 rd. mags. for one C drum. Of course if money is no object, I would like one of each model! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#23 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:30 AM

must,

Thanks for your input and experience. I still have alot to think about. I'm just going to take my time and keep looking. Ask alot of questions. And hopefully find and buy a functioning TSMG "shooter". I'm probably going with a WH because of money issues.
Your thoughts and experience on the subject help. Keep shooting the WH M1.

Again,
Johnny

#24 StoryforU

StoryforU

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:47 AM

Ok, I'm a Phillistine - anyone have a 1928 alloy frame they're not in love with anymore? Drop me a line.

#25 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:58 AM

StoryforU,

I'll keep it in mind. I'm working on a 1928 Gun deal right now that includes a 28 Alloy frame. I'll let you know what happens.

Johnny

#26 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 12 August 2003 - 09:24 PM

I've got a Savage M1A1 and a Colt '21AC. If I only had one Thompson, it would be a 1928 military model. Best of all worlds. It's got the look of the Colt, but the military heritage of the M1A1. Set up in British pattern is the absolute sexiest (okay, so I'm weird that way). That is the gun that pops into my mind when I hear the song Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner. I have fun watching others do it too (shooting Thompsons, that is) wink.gif laugh.gif

#27 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:03 PM

Waffen Und Bier,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm getting a 1928 A1. I've started the paper work today, and I'm committed. Though I'm still looking for mags & L Drums. Gotta have one.
Owning a 1921 AC has to be nice though. Firing one must be insane. The BSAs are nice also. The world of TSMGs is a great place to be.

Stay Safe,
Johnny

#28 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:23 PM

Welcome to the club! Now while the paper is being processed...start stocking up on ammo! You will find it easy to go through 5-10 thousand rounds the first day in the field! Way big biggrin.gif

I was doing 5K a month until I got somethin more hungry...MG42!

#29 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:07 PM

hardrede,

Wow, that sounds like a very custom set up, but I'm going with the 1928.
Your gun does sound interesting and fun to shoot.
Thanks for your input and description of your custom gun.

Take Care,
Johnny

#30 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 07:47 AM

I went with the 28 model due to the historic resemblance of what people (and I at the time) believed are Thompsons.
In fact, I was not aware that the M1s were actually Thompsons until I ventured down this path and became somewhat educated.

Mine sits on a wooden stand with a 50 round drum and is a pretty sight. Just staring at it yells HOLD ME, TOUCH ME and SHOOT ME.

Plus there is something about dumping a 50 or 100 round drum. Although some people have modified a 50 round drum for the M1, to me the drums are too expensive to experiment.

If I had the cash, I wouldn't mind owning a M1 either. It just depends on what you are looking for. I believe many of the M1 parts are a bit cheaper to buy. Either model holds its place in history.

#31 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:23 AM

JimFromFL,

Thanks for your reply. When I first stared looking at TSMGs I thought I wanted an M1/M1A1. As I started researching and asking questions, it became evident that the 1928 was very appealing (L Drum, actuator location, smooth firing...) Also I found a 1928 that was setup to shoot and the seller was willing to work with and negotiate.
I think I bought a good gun to suit my needs. I really wanted a gun I could shoot reliably in full-auto mode. I agree both designs have a place in history. I'd love to own many TSMGs, but I'll start with the 1928 A1 that I just bought.

Thanks Again,
Johnny

#32 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 01:00 PM

Bob,

I'm stocking up on .45 ammo and I'm looking at L Drums.
Thanks for the welcome.

Take Care,
Johnny