• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:19 PM

Whicg raises the question:

Are the rotors Really nickle plated, ro are they just bright metal????

Boug (remebring a previous discussion about bright TSMG parts)

#22 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

Guys,
I should admit that I attended "Drum School 2003" at the SAR show with the teachers being Doug Richardson, Gordon Herigstad and Mearle Bitikofer and I was the only pupil!!.
Mike was supposed to attend to, but there were too many distractions so he "wagged" (skipped) most of the classes.
Regards.

#23 Chip

Chip

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:27 PM

Murry,

I think it's the other way around. The "C" on the Colt drum is below the "H" and the "C" splits the "C" and "H" on the Worcester drum. The Second model of the Worcester drum also has the comma between the N.Y., U.S.A. Look at page 331 and 333 of Tracie Hill's book. Also, the Worcester drum is both riveted and spot welded to the drum bodies.

I think hawksnest called it correctly,

take care,

#24 Mario Scarpino

Mario Scarpino

• Regular Group
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:29 PM

Murray,

Thanks a bunch for clearng up the Colt - Worchester drum identification. After reading your description I just had to get my "3rd generation Worchester" drum out of my 1927A1 FBI case and give it a good looking over. Well, guess what? My "C" in cal in between the C and H in the above line and I have a "N.Y. , USA" on the back to boot!!!! It has a nickle rotor in it. Mine is slightly defaced and probably not worth as much as it should be as I had Oscar Payne's son Stephen autograph the rotor and the inside of the lid (cover) when he was in Kansas City for the NRA show back 2001. Anyway, I guess it went up in value from a 3rd Worchester to a 1928 COLT!!!! How much did I make tonite????

I passed my 8 hours of training for a conceal carry permit here in Missouri on 18 April. I plan on visiting the sheriff's office on 26 April and applying for the permit. I think it will take up to 45 days to get back to me. The sheriff here in Cass County is a real 2nd Amendment proponent!! It was a real hoot here in Missouri, as the Republican led State House and Senate over turned our "loser" democrat govenor's conceal-carry veto about 2-3 months ago. You all might remember it, as they flew a State senator home from Cuba to cast what was the deciding vote in the Missouri senate. He was on reserve duty at the time (Army)!!!! The anti-gunners had a real pissin' match over that one!! Many of the counties have put a "hold" on issuing conceal carry due to a "funding issue" that was not "properly addressed" by the state legislature. Another antigunner attempt at denying our rights. But I guess the local sheriff said, Bring it On!! He's signing the forms !!!!! Conceal - carry may be kinda like owning a full auto tommy (which I don't presently). So politically incorrect, yet so satisfying!!!

Mario Scarpino

#25 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:21 PM

Chip,
You are really making a hash of this long ago settled issue. The Colt drums have the "C" in Cal between the "C" & "H" in Submachine gun and the comma after N.Y. The Worcesters do not. And the Colt drums have faint spot welds too. Quit looking at xerox images and look at an actual Colt drum for indisputable info.

#26 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:35 PM

I didn't know class was in session. I was too busy slobbering over some old machineguns laying on a table. Or was it that blond with the low cut top? I'll be at the next class for sure. Merle did teach me a few things about drums while I was there, and over the beers. This August will be a good classroom also.

#27 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:25 AM

It appears the rear half of first and third gen Worcester drums are the same, with only the second gen having the comma after NY.

is this correct, or is Hill's info incorrect? Or, as the case often is, drum parts were switched around over the decades, and nobody knows for sure?

I have the front cover of Colt drum #1452 if anybody has the rear half of the drum, maybe we can work something out

Doug

#28 Murray

Murray

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:13 AM

Before I launched into print I triple checked my own drums, I have 3 colts, 1921 "C". a 1921 "L" numbered and a 1928 Colt "L"verified by the BIG THREE as mentioned in my prior post.
I also double checked Doug Richardson's drum book which clearly points out the difference so I hope I am correct.
All of my Colt drums have nickled plated rotors and so do my two Seymore drum but they also have a "S" stamp on the rotor.
Yes Mike I agree with you about the Blond with the triple "C" drums.
No wonder we got the covers mixed up.
Hey have confirmed our flight and train to Fairfax for July August and have sent Tracie Hill a US$'s bank draft for all of the tours and events for the four days.
Regards
Murray,
PS Bought another Colt 1921 Irish Sword yesterday. Should arrive next week. serial number I understand to be between 900 and 1000. That will make a total of four Colts in the under 1000 serial number range.

#29 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2402 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:28 AM

Chip,

This discussion came up about a year ago. I believe the pictures in the Hill book were placed on the wrong pages by the publisher and I pointed that out in the previous discussion. It doesn't make sense that Worcester changed the dies to eliminate the comma (whether on purpose or by accident) and change the position of the font, then change it back for a second run of drums. I think a picture of a Colt 1928 drum got placed on the page describing the Worcester second generation. The Colt drums also have the welds, although they are not as visible as on the Worcester drums.

The Colt numbered L drums have the exact same rear body plate as the recently sold drum on Gunbroker. The comma is present and the font position is the same. I have owned three Worcester drums, including a later one with the Wind to Nine Clicks in a semi-circle on the front. The font style was different and the comma after N.Y. didn't appear on any of them.

I believe it is a Colt 1928 drum as Murray pointed out.

#30 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:40 AM

Murray,

Four Colt Thompsons w/serial nos. under 1000!

I hope your children pick you out a really nice nursing home.

#31 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:00 AM

And the real pisser is he paid nowhere near what we have to pay for a West Hurley here in the states that made the things in the first place! Makes you want to move to the far side of the world, don't it?

#32 Chip

Chip

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:31 AM

Arthur & Gijive

#33 Chip

Chip

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:32 AM

Arthur & Gijive

Thanks for the correction and information on the drums. It does make sense they would not change their set up for one run of faceplates. Guess I’ll have to get a copy of Doug’s Book.

#34 Murray

Murray

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:41 PM

Hey Chip,
Doug's book is nothing flash, ie soft cover & ring bound but!
It is great value with a mint of information and photos and drawings of all the known made drums and a few unknown ones.It is 118 pages and in my opinion worth every nickle. He also has another book on stick mags which is equally interesting.
Regards
Murray.