9 replies to this topic

#1 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:05 AM

Hi Guys,
I've been lurking here for about a month or so trying to pick up any tidbits of info you guys happen to be passing around, Thanks to all for everything I've learned about this fascinating weapon.

I'm a long time miltary gun collector and have come to the conclusion that a Thompson is the next logical step in my never ending task of completing my collection. I must say, it would have been a whole lot cheaper to have figured this out 10 yrs. ago. wink.gif Oh well, better late than never.

Thanks again, Lancer

#2 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:19 AM

Lancer
Good luck with your search.
There are plenty of us here to ask advice to clear up any questions as you pursue your dream.
michael

#3 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Full auto weapons.

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:27 AM

Welcome Lancer!

I'm a bit of a newbie here myself and signed on about the time you did. I've found this board to an interesting read. Had a West Hurley 28 find it's way to me in Feb and went pending on Mar 3rd. Last thing I figured on ever owning was a F/A Thompson!

If you haven't already, I'd recommend getting Franks book, "American Thunder". As of a few weeks ago Dan Shea still had some copies left. I'm about 1/3rd the way throught the one I bought and it's very good.

Mark

#4 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:36 AM

Hi Lancer! We're in the same boat, Thompson-wise. Marks, how can I get in touch with Dan Shea for a copy of that book?

#5 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (LSU Tiger @ Apr 18 2004, 10:36 AM)
Marks, how can I get in touch with Dan Shea for a copy of that book?

Quantities are low so when I ordered Dan's web site made mention of availability issues but the order went through and I got the book. I wouldn't delay if your gonna go for it.

Good luck on your quest for a tommy. Would have never thought one would end up in my stable.

Mark

#6 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:28 AM

I picked up a copy of "American Thunder" a couple of weeks ago at the gun show and agree, it is recommended reading.

I also bought a copy of Frank's "Machine Gun Buyers Guide". As a first time buyer of an NFA weapon, it took alot of the intimidation out of purshase process.

With the knowledge I've accumulated in the last month, I'm searching and ready for my first purchase.

Lancer

#7 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:57 AM

Sorry LSU Tiger, I forgot to include a link to Dan's site. Here it is.........

http://www.longmountain.com/

Lancer,

I'm an SOT, well, for about a couple more weeks then I'm out of the biz. If you would like to e-mail me with any questions about paperwork or anything else I'd be happy to help you out. I'm not selling anything, just willing to help anyone understand the enjoyable and sometimes frustrating world of NFA.

E-mail is..... postkasse@cascadeaccess.com

#8 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

marks,
Your offer of assistance is much appreciated. Don't have any questions right now but I may in the future. I'll save your address.

Lancer

#9 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:51 PM

Lancer, Welcome! smile.gif

Always nice to see others interested in the same things. The more folks get into machineguns in general and Thompsons in particular, the less "odd" I feel! laugh.gif

Stick around....there are many here who can and will happily answer your every question and assist you in locating that elusive Tommygun. Sooner or later you'll find what you seek!

Good luck!

john

#10 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Lancer @ Apr 18 2004, 10:05 AM)
it would have been a whole lot cheaper to have figured this out 10 yrs. ago. wink.gif

Ditto