Craig's Savage 1928 Pics Are Now Here!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 craig101

craig101

• Regular Group
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

whew! Nick helped me out. thanks Nick!!!

so here they are.

address

drum address

full drum

left side

patents

serial number

Craig

#2 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

Wow!!!! Nice Thompson.

Congrats!!! cool.gif

#3 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:43 PM

THAT IS NICE!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky $#%#$*#^#%$*#@*($ ! wink.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#4 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:48 AM

Nice,

Smooth late actuator, unknurled paddle safety and rocker piviot but is it me or the picture; it looks like you have an early milled ejector ? kinda curious if it's a smooth or finned barrel. I'm envious of you.

BB

#5 craig101

craig101

• Regular Group
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:23 PM

the lower is serial number 4xxxxx i think. something in the 400,000 range. it had to of been refurbished post WWII in the UK. if everything was original (25688), the actuator would be knurled as would the paddle safety and rocker pivit.

it is an early milled ejector, with Serial #25688 it should be. it would have come with a finned barrel, but this gun is a rewat and the barrel had stylite (sp??) in it, so it was replaced. the barrel is 13 3/4" long, so it came from a WH 1927 pistol gun or whatever gun had a 13 3/4" barrel on it.

i wish i had the original barrel, so i could see more of the British marks on it. the rec. has the broad arrow on it. if it didn't have the broad arrow, i think it would have been a commercial, but not with UK gov't markings on it. pre-lend lease gun.

#6 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:47 AM

Hardened steel plug in the barrel to render it as a dewat maybe?

#7 craig101

craig101

• Regular Group
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:35 AM

check out the big brain on Bob, you one smart MO-FO...sorry got into a pulp fiction mode. biggrin.gif

yes the stellite was put in the barrel to render it a Dewat. from the sounds of it, the bastard doing the dewatting back in the day, really wanted to make it a dewat, it was no light dewat in the barrel. good thing they only touched the barrel with that crap.

correct Phil, i've never heard of stellite lined Thompson barrels either. i have heard of M-60 barrels lined with stellite, but thats a different beast.

#8 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:13 PM

Congrats Craig!

Great-looking gun! I own S-245XX, they can't have been too far apart in the production line. Is the finish on the receiver the original one?

Balder

#9 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:56 PM

Craig101,... my Savage 28 also had a steel hardened plug welded in the barrel,.. and also it was sharpened to a point to prevent drilling...gotta love those dewat boys...and this was during the amnesty,what a waste!...can`t wait to send it to PK for rewatting,good luck with yours,out. wink.gif

#10 craig101

craig101

• Regular Group
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

i think the finish is original. it looks like a black type finish, kinda what is described in American Thunder. this was not a parked gun. the guy who registered it in 1968 owned it until 1986 or so and gave it to the Class 2 who has it now. that Class 2 is the one who rewatted it back in the day. the class 2 told me stellite, so i don't know. he did say it was a bitch to rewat. the C2 gave his friend an AR15 in trade for this 28 back in 1986 cause he didn't know if the gun was rewatable.

#11 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:11 PM

In the photos the receiver finish appears different from the frame.

#12 craig101

craig101

• Regular Group
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:40 PM

I would agree with that statement Arthur. when i took the stock off, i saw the serial number of the frame is S-481684, so the frame is later manufacture. i wish the Brits would have would not have mix and matched the parts when they were sent back to the depot.