65 replies to this topic

#41 TommyFan

TommyFan

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

Hawksnest:

"Quasi"??? Isn't that the number 10 guy of the Taliban we keep saying we got cornered in Afghanistan???

If we can shoot next to each other without having to hear or say, "My gun's better than your gun", we're cool.

John

#42 TAB

TAB

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:36 PM

That was as painful as a humpback PhilOhio.

#43 TommyFan

TommyFan

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:25 PM

Tab, Phil, the "humpback whale" comebacks are striking!!! And Mr "Moto" was an oriental detective, wasn't he?

#44 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 25 2004, 10:31 AM)
Your usuallly verbose posts missed the entire point of why post 1944 samples of "Thompson's" are replicas.[/b][/color]

I am a bit too tired to really plod into this again, but it seems to me that the term replica, copy, fake, or whatever, do not apply (in a strict definition sense). Reproduction may seem better (something reproduced, especially in the faithfulness of its resemblance to the form and elements of the original). All Thompsons are reproductions of the original design. Also, to me anyway, the term "Thompson" refers to an entire class of weapons. Perhaps there is not another good example, but when someone says "Thompson", an immediate image pops to mind. Whether it is a 1921, 28, M1, West Hurley, or Kahr. It's not so much about who made it, but what it is; what it represents. Flame on...

#45 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:22 PM

Chris,
The following is a response by "Jim" to my posts on Bower's board about this very topic.

I think he's just saying that to be correct in a description of a collectible you should be specific. Some may take it personal as if their baby is being knocked. But, I don't think it should be taken personal.
My SMTD M76 looks identical to a SW76 but I don't call it a Smith & Wesson.
A Vector Uzi replica is just that....a replica. An UZI is an UZI. And there is nothing personal meant by being specific there either.
We don't call Bushmaster's ....Colt's either.....even though they sure look the same don't they?
This kind of thing is considered simply semantics by the average shooter.....but it's much more than that to the purist collector. Maybe it's good that we discuss this. I think alot of guns are overpriced due to the misunderstandings of their true collectibility.

There are alot more examples out there than just these two, but I think you see what I'm talking about.

#46 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:52 AM

Probably 95% of us on the board are NOT "purist collectors." Therefore this argument is moot to most of us.

Having a Colt would be great, but is unrealistic to most. Maybe some people could find it in there heart to let all of us that are "fooled" by WH and Kahr Arms, to let us keep believing that we have a "Thompson."

We shoot'em, we clean'em, we love'em! biggrin.gif Even though they are not "true" Thompsons, they are close enough for most of us.

We (the semi-auto owners) thank you (everyone) for your understanding. wink.gif

Norm

#47 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:13 PM

has this horse not been beat e-nuff?????

so a person own's a colt so what,a person owns a wes-hurlee,so what,a kahr so what,a military original, a pre-sample 1928,m1a1, a post sample m1,m1a1 a 1928 a1, and so on and sew-on...............

we all enjoy what we have and what we happened to be blessed with...................don't you all at all realize.........99.99% of the world buying public{whata we have 6 billion on the earth..............

don't care,can't own one, can't afford one.and if they did don't care to bother at all..........its a very small group in the whole scheme of thing's.............all we ever seem to talk to is the same old group..........{gun dealers and collector's}

talk with others out there..............they don't care.they see a old gangster movie.or a new one!! a ww2 movie or see a pic or maybe read a story in a book,or something on the internet they come across..........

heck if s.p.r.did not appear on the big screen or b.o.b.there would not have been such a surge in the last four years....on the 1911,m1a1 1928.19118a1 1918a2 bar,mp-40.mg-42's and mg-34's and other's.............

so just enjoy what we have,heck remember? {red dawn}everybody wanted to go back to high school and own a russian akm........well maadi akm semi{thats what they used}

and if you have a colt great,or a kahr or hurlee'''''or a freakin tn.commando or phx.arm's from the 60's.............

now i will pop "sahara" with bogie in the v.c.r........and get the 1928 out of the safe, slide in a drum and relax....

and heck the wife can even have the m.g.c.replica to pet.

its good to watch a classic with someone....wink!!!

take care all!! ron

#48 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 29 2004, 11:22 PM)
Chris,
The following is a response by "Jim" to my posts on Bower's board about this very topic.

Af:

I read all those posts.

http://subguns.bigge...70428#Responses

Quite an ass kicking.

#49 chitowngangster

chitowngangster

Outlaw History Expert - Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

laugh.gif Ha!Ha!Ha! Arthur's terrorizing every board there is.You have to admit that boy has got spunk!!!!!!His balls must be stamped Colt.

Way to go Arthur stick to your convictions.
Thanks for the link Chris i had a good laugh.

Mario

Edited by chitowngangster, 30 April 2004 - 08:58 PM.

#50 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:16 PM

Chris,
Since that thread started with some miscreant stating "Thompson's suck!" I guess you thought he wasn't referring to your WH? Just remember that they are also at odds with Richardson, Cox, Helmer, and Herigstad.

Hardrede,
I don't expire until 2010.

Mario,
I'll keep em flyin!

#51 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

• 1939 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 06:01 AM

Arthur:

The original post, though specifically referring to a West Hurley Thompson, revolved around the weight of the weapon. Last time I checked, they ALL weigh pretty much the same. Then, as I scanned down the list, there you are with "WH are NOT THOMPSONS". Like you could not wait for an opportunity to bash them. What a troll. I don't know why I feed the trolls.

"Just remember that they are also at odds with Richardson, Cox, Helmer, and Herigstad. "

So what? Four peoples opinions (maybe less if you're indeed one of them). I don't share that belief, and a lot more out there don't either I gather. It's all in what you wanna believe. I have no hesitation to consider my WH a reproduction (I see them all that way really), but it is still a Thompson. What's the big deal? What-is-the-big-deal? I don't bash Colts. Love to have one one day (maybe for retirement;-) Love them all Arthur! They're all that are left. No H Mobius loop there, HAL....

#52 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

Regardless of what Richardson, Cox, Helmer, and Herigstad may or may not have ever said, according to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the present assignment of the trademarks "Thompson" (first use 1917) and "Tommy Gun" (first use 1919) for use in the United States on US Class, Goods & Services: Firearms, including cannons, machine guns, sporting arms, gun parts, pistols, shotguns, rifles, submachine guns, and gun grips is to Saeilo, Inc.

Saeilo, Inc. is the parent corporation of Kahr.

I did not check for the status of the the bullet logo with the script "Thompson" or the block letters "Auto-Ord-Co". Nor did I do an archive search to determine the full chain of title from first use till the present to see what may or may not have transpired during the Kilgore, Trast, Numrich or other eras.

#53 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 01:40 PM

the energizer!!! it just keep's going and going!!!!!

everybody should own a kahr.............heck how do you get around???
ron

#54 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 02:33 PM

Would that be a Modo Kahr to get around?

#55 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 04:37 PM

if you take a hur-lee and put in all colt parts,and take a colt and put in hur-lee parts and wood.

is it still a thompson???was not it originally a "payne" gun??? but "thompson" had more of a saleable ring to it...........

not sure how well "THE PAYNE GUN"would have sold..........wink!!!

Ron

#56 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:07 PM

Hardrede,...as long as we are defining the meaning of things here...the term` CUNT `has nothing to do with AF or Colts or BOTS...Its` origins date back to the womens` campaign to vote and the sufferage movement...CUNT...the real meaning stood for...`Can`t Understand Normal Things`....you know..common sense...therefore women should not be granted the right to vote...that was the thinking at the time....could have come in handy in `92...and maybe in `04....man did I hijack this thread or what,out. wink.gif

#57 john1976

john1976

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

Thank you Chris for defending those of us who cannot afford a $10-$20 thousand dollar gun. My last car only cost $8000!

I purchased a Kahr M1 from Sarco last December for $750, a large expenditure for me. The gun is great and I've gone through 300 rounds without a jam or problem.

I collect quite a few surplus military arms and read alot of firearm message boards but this one takes the cake in snobbery. The prevaling wisdom is unless you own an incredibly expensive firearm you own junk.

I can't imagine an owner of a WWII Garand on the US military Rifles board berating an owner of a current production Springfield Garnd as owning a "replica".

It's about time us firearm owners stop attacking each other & realize we're in this together & they're plenty of others out there who'd love to deny us the right to own even the lowly Kahr.

#58 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:03 PM

John-

Glad to hear you are keeping them in the 10 ring and welcome to the board.

It is always nice to hear from people with positive experiences. After all is said and done, the most important thing (IMHO) is your enjoyment and pleasure with your gun. Shoot it, enjoy it and don't let someone elses views alter your future choices. Most the hollow arguments that are made in response to my oringial post are just that - hollow. So much keyboard bravado and empty assertions.... all I did is ask for some proof to backup these claims and and I didn't get a single shred of it - just other questions. People who have never owned this generation of Thompson are automatically experts and think they can judge because of "what they heard". Its kind of arrogant and sad if you really think about it.

Take care and don't make that your last post!

Chris.

Edited by DC Chris, 16 May 2004 - 10:15 PM.

#59 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

• 1939 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (john1976 @ May 16 2004, 09:48 PM)
I can't imagine an owner of a WWII Garand on the US military Rifles board berating an owner of a current production Springfield Garnd as owning a "replica".

You mean this type of abhorent behavior isn't pervasive on ALL weapons boards?!? Egadz!

#60 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:30 PM

John--
Glad you are enjoying your Kahr. I think they are lots of fun, once they're working. Consider getting an SBR for yours, if you haven't already. I believe that will increase enjoyment from an aesthetic point of view. I'm still saving up to have the trigger frame mods and SBR change on my 27. I've had the paperwork done for some time, but got side-tracked on other purchases. Maybe I'll get mine off to PK sometimes this summer. Don't get too upset by the Thompson pedigree issue. That was going on when I first came on board. I remember some of my very first posts dealing with Kahr issues.