Pearl Thompson

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:29 PM

Could you guys comment about the quality and reliability of the Pearl Thompson? Are their parts interchangeable with the Savage Thompsons?

#2 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:54 PM

His stuff seems to have a pretty fair reputation. The Pearl TSMGs used GI parts bult up on a receiver either rewelded or newly built by Marty Pearl. (IIRC, he did both...rewelding and manufacturing new recievers. Additionally, he was, among other things, a judge. AFAIK, he's still alive (sorry, I don't know how to get in touch with him.))
Sorry I can't give you more help.

#3 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:26 PM

Bill--
Thanks for responding. I read some of our older posts and gathered a overall idea about the Pearl Thompson. In regards to a less expensive shooter, I wondered if it is better to go with a Pearl over the WH. Even with the lower price tag, I'm a little leary about rewelded receivers. However, I have heard some good things about Pearl's craftsmanship.

I really want a Savage M1a1, but have discovered that the prices of these have really gone through the roof, knocking around 14 to 15 K.

#4 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4617 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:23 PM

I've heard alot of people with Pearl weapons say they are great shooters. I missed seeing one at the Creek a few weeks ago. Everyone says they shoot fine. I would say go for it.

#5 tcgoll

tcgoll

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:19 PM

I have had a number of his Thompsons and the worked great. He ussually made the serial number the same to match the lower. I have an Uzi convertion I bought from him in the 80's(for $525) and have had to replace 2 barrels I have fired it so much and have had no trouble at all with it. I currently have one of his MP 40s in transfer to me. All great quality.

#6 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:34 AM

Yes, Martin Pearl is still around. He is either in Grants, NM, or N. Scottsdale, AZ.

I saw him a few weeks ago here in AZ.

Doug

#7 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:35 AM

I just read this post and then saw this ad:

NFA Market Board

WTB Bar l9l8A2 barrel

Posted By: Martin Pearl (ip68-104-152-222.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: 4/25/04 21:13

excellent or better for re-barreling. Martin Pearl 505-3285879

Jr