Transfer Question.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:02 PM

I'm looking at a Thompson that's currently registered on a Form 4 in another state. Besides the finger printing, photo, etc.; what are the other steps in this instance? I've been told by the Class III handeling the seller's end that the current owner will have to pay his $200 to transfer it to a Class III in my state, then I pay my $200 to transfer it from the Class III to me. That seems like a lot of confusion to me. It seems like the seller could transfer it to my Class III, and then on a Form 4 to me. But, this is ALL NEW to me! What's the low - down, fellas?

#2 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:37 PM

OK, call me... I talked to the Class III, and forgot to ask! huh.gif But, it's a Savage M1928A1, so I imagine it's C&R.

Edited by LSU Tiger, 30 April 2004 - 09:47 PM.

#3 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:44 PM

So, with a C&R license, you can even have a class III sent directly to you?

What paper work (Form name) would one have to complete if someone with a C&R is going to buy a ClassIII item?

Does it matter if the seller is out of state?

#4 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 01 May 2004 - 07:13 AM

You can have the gun sent directly to you if it is a C&R gun. If you buy a newer WH 1928, it is not C&R so it doesn't go. You fill out the same forms but where it asks for the dealer info, you fill that in with your C&R numbers. It only costs $30 for 3 years for the permit. And if you have the C&R gun, you don't have to fill out the 5320.20 form to take your gun across state lines. This should be the link to the C&R form.

C&R form link

#5 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 08:47 AM

Let's just review this one more time.

A C&R machine gun can be sent across state lines directly to a C&R license holder. The transfer is done on a Form 4. It doesn't matter whether the transferror possesses the machine gun on a Form 4 (an individual) or a Form 3 (a dealer). In other words, for C&R machine guns, an indvidual does not have to transfer a machine gun through an intervening C3 dealer if the receiving party holds a valid C&R license. Did I get that right?

Also, C&R license holders should be reminded that if you purchase a C&R firearm after the effective date of your license, you must log that purchase into your bound book even if the purchase/transfer does not reference your C&R license. Finally, while your license is in effect, any disposition of a C&R firearm, even if it a gun that you bought before you were issued your license, must be logged in your bound book.

#6 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 08:48 AM

So, fill out this form + $30 + finger prints + photo?

#7 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

If I don't renew my C&R , what happens to my weapons?

#8 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:28 AM

If your license is revoked or expires, you keep all your guns.

You do not need fingerprints or CLEO signoff for C&R license. Just a letter to the CLEO notifying them that you have applied for a C&R license. Note that you still need the fingerprint cards and CLEO signoff for the Form 4 though.

Here's a link to a really good source of C&R info.

http://www.falfiles....&threadid=33083

The FAL site also gives links to other good sites.

It took 2 months to get my license. Also note that many vendors will give C&R holders the same discounts as they do full-fledged "dealers". Finally, though I've not tried it, a C&R license should qualify you for entry to the SHOT show.

#9 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:41 AM

If you have to log in all your previous guns (non NFA), does it ask details like, where purchased, when, how much, etc. I don't remember all this stuff on some of my guns.

#10 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:49 AM

I don't remember that, either...

#11 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:04 AM

Another point: Item #7 on the C&R app wants the names of other "responsible parties." My wife has no interest in any of this stuff. Should I list her? I would be the only one using the C&R. huh.gif

#12 michael

michael

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:World War II Landing Ship Tank (LST's)
    firearms

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:20 AM

Do you live in Louisiana Tiger fan? If so then you must also get state approval before the gun is shipped into the state.

The Louisiana department of Public saftey has a MG form that goes through the same office for approval as the concealed handgun permits.

#13 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

I do, Micheal. Is that on the DPS website?

#14 michael

michael

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 79 posts
    firearms

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:38 AM

I am also new to this process. Currenlty my gun has just arrived at my dealer. The approved Louisiana DPS form had to be submitted with the Form 3 transfer. The ATF will not approve any transfer into Louisiana without the approved DPS form attached.

I will try to give him a call this week and see how and where to get the forms.

You might also try calling the concealed handgun division of the state police, perhaps they would have the info, I think that this is the office that handles it. That number is on the DPS website.

If I find anything I will post or email.

Michael

#15 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:40 AM

I tried to get one (Thompson) twenty years ago, and you needed a letter to the Explosives Section stating that it was for collecting.

#16 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:45 AM

You only have to list the guns purchased with your C&R. If you bought it before you had it I do not believe you have to list it. And yes I think there was a photo you had to attach with the form. I could be wrong on that but I sent in my form 4 and my C&R within a day of each other.

#17 michael

michael

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 79 posts
    firearms

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:45 AM

It,s nothing like that, but I'd say go through a dealer that knows the system and can guide you through.

That way he handles getting it into the state.

Where do you live? Perhaps there is a dealer near by that could guide you through.

#18 msfhotrod

msfhotrod

• Regular Group
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:56 AM

On the C&R form line 7,under position and s.s. #. Do I put individual or ? I'm not a corporation ,partnership or association. Thanks.

#19 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ May 1 2004, 10:45 AM)
You only have to list the guns purchased with your C&R. If you bought it before you had it I do not believe you have to list it. And yes I think there was a photo you had to attach with the form. I could be wrong on that but I sent in my form 4 and my C&R within a day of each other.

Mike is correct on point #1. You do not log C&R purchases made prior to the issue date of your C&R. You MUST log EVERY C&R-eligible purchase made after the issue date of the C&R license. Doesn't matter if you utilize your license or not.

While your license is in effect, you log ANY disposition of a C&R-eligible gun, regardless if that gun was acquired before or after your C&R license became effective. After your license expires or is no longer in effect, there are no requirements to log any dipositions; even if the disposition is a gun you acquired via your license.

There is no picture required for C&R application.

#20 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ May 1 2004, 05:26 PM)

Anybody else have a comment on this?  I've just been accepting what ATFE told me, until reading Kyle's post.

This has been discussed exhaustively on another board. One particular thread has a letter from the ATF discussing this very point. I'll find and post the link.