- - - - -

Front Sight On An M1a1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 57Fordman

57Fordman

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:1957 Fords primarily but almost any other 1957 American made car. WWII, WWI small arms. n

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:04 AM

Dear Group: I am new to the group and haven't researched the archives for this topic yet. Sorry if it is a repeat--I will look for it.
Could someone describe the procedure for removing and re-attaching the front sight?

Thanks, 57Fordman

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:53 AM

If you want to re-use the sight, it should be removed with a special block and a puller. Similar to pulling a gear off a shaft. You need a special plug to protect the muzzle also. If it’s a one time operation, it would probably be cheaper to send to someone already equipped.

#3 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 699 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:24 AM

If it has a pin, knock it out with a rock and a punch. Then clamp the front sight in a vice and turn the barrel with a 14" pipe wrench while pulling the barrel out of the sight. Touch up the marks with black paint.

OR

...sent it to PK, he won't leave marks on the barrel

#4 Deputy 89C6

Deputy 89C6

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:59 PM

If things don't work out exactly as you wish....I have a spare M1A1 ring sight that I'd sell for ten bucks + shipping.

Steve

#5 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:00 PM

I've always found an oxygen / actylene torch works well, but makes a helluva mess...

ohmy.gif blink.gif huh.gif

#6 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1020 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

Picked up an unused (no hole drilled for the sight pin) Thompson front sight. Inside of sight is threaded. Will easily screw on a WWII G.I. smooth barrel, which is threaded for a compensator. No manufacturer's code. What do I have? How would a thompsonsmith know if the sight he is about to remove is threaded sight or pressed on sight?

#7 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 699 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

Boy Phil, Ya got that right! Giddy to say the least.
10 more days till the Albany shoot....two days of nothing but machineguns biggrin.gif

Too bad Oh-Hi-Ah is soo far to drive from....for a weekend.

#8 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:06 PM

Hawksnest,

I had seen, at one time, the sight you describe advertised. I believe it to be an after market part and although I have looked, I have not been able to find one. I don’t know who made them or when and also don’t think they are common at all. I finally gave up and made one.

An experienced eye will easily determine if the sight is threaded or pressed.

#9 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1020 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

PK: Thanks for the info.

#10 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

There is not a single gunsmithing problem that can't be solved with the appropriate application of a Dremel tool, JB Weld, and a black permanent marker (or so I've heard). wink.gif

#11 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

Naw, ya just cut the section of the receiver away that the barrel attaches to with a cut off wheel, put new barrel on, fill voids with JB Weld, grind excess with grinding wheel, color JB Weld with permanent marker. Good as new! wink.gif

#12 Phil Askew

Phil Askew

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:47 PM

I have a few NOS undrilled sights with new pins, e-mail me at philfordparts@yahoo.com