A Random Thought...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:33 PM

A thought thrown out for discussion: We usually see the M-1928A1 used in "early war" situations by US troops, ie-mid 1943 and earlier. What about it's use in the ETO after the invasion of Europe? Except for a few isolated pictures (a shot of a GI peeking over a hedge row holding a M-1928A1 comes to mind) they seem to have vanished and the M-1 / M-1A1 dominated. Your thoughts?

Edited by LSU Tiger, 08 May 2004 - 02:37 PM.

#2 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3480 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

aw yes,they was in the rear with the gear....everybody know's the guys in the field wanted the sleekest and newest thing out...........to impress the enemy........get caught witha old 1928or 1928a1.NEVER!!

as one troop said get caught with a rattlin drum in bastogne,no way baby.kilroy was here!!

now to reality........i was not there,did not fight in ww2 and don't have a real deal answer.......somebody who was may chime in!!otherwise the rest of the answer's will be like my first...............deep thought's wink!!

kinda boring posting day don't you think???

everybody must be at the mall,cuttin grass{hope not smokin it}or working on the tommy..........

take care,ron

i hope you find the truth:x-files

#3 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2166 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:54 PM

It's just an opinion on my part, but I believe that the M1928A1s were not withdrawn from service after production of them stopped in favor of M1s and M1A1s. They were still serviceable, and in many cases actually preferred by the troops involved. Photographic evidence would seem to bear out this contention.

If you have access to The Thompson Submachine Gun by Chris Ellis, see the excellent photo on page 31 of two 82nd Abn. Div. troopers (a company CO and 1Sgt., I believe). The photo was taken shortly after the Normandy drops and shows them armed with both an M1928A1 and an M1A1. Note the cocked and loaded state of the '28A1! The photo on page 39 shows a mixture of TSMG models in a group of jump ready paratroopers. All weapons appear to have XX mags. The MP on page 41, also in Normandy, carries a '28A1. The Ranger on page 45 has a very late production '28A1 in a photo dated 1943. All of these photos were taken well after the advent of the M1/M1A1.

I wish I had the capability to scan/upload these photos for you!

#4 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:59 PM

I've seen that shot TSMG. One guy has a helmet net that looks heavy enough to drag a harbor with! Your thought is interesting. So, you think sheer numbers?

Edited by LSU Tiger, 09 May 2004 - 06:10 AM.