38 replies to this topic

#21 The Moor

The Moor

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:13 PM

GI,
I understand. Getting the details of the spare parts box is turning out to be more challenging than I had thought. At first I had thought that the other phases of the project would present the most obstacles.
I'm a long way from throwing in the towel so any info that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Rob

socom@hotmail.com

#22 The Moor

The Moor

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 09:56 AM

Metal Form Products cannot make the replica of the metal spare parts/cleaning kit box. I had sent some pictures, some dimensions and some construction/fabrication notes to see if they could make the box. Jack Brink informed me that they do not have the roll forming or drawing equipment necessary to make this box.

Back to square one. Need references for companies that have roll forming (for small applications) and drawing equipment. Also, need accurate dimensions so that CAD drawings can be completed.

Rob

#23 The Moor

The Moor

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 06:18 PM

Thought I would resurrect this topic as new information is now available thanks to the Thompson Collectors News, 4th quarter edition. The first metal parts kit boxes were made at Worcester Press Steel Co. in 1928. It would appear that quite a few of these were made.
We now have some dimensions to work with to make a drawing (better drawing) but still do not have a company with the appropriate equipment to make the reproduction boxes. We know that the boxes were more than likely blued.I have some information on Worcester Press but it is on my work computer so I can't share it at the present time. I believe the company was bought but they still make some type of metal latches or fixtures of some kind (not sure - bad memory). Wonder what happened to the tooling for the spare parts kits?
I plan to work on this project some more, unfortunately I will be short on spare time for a few months now.
There was mention of another POSSIBLE source for these in November or December. Keeping my fingers crossed!

#24 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 640 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:10 PM

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but Greg Fox (police hardcase maker) researched this a few years ago. A can maker gave a quote of many, many thousands of dollars to make the dies required to stamp out the cans. A huge number (many thousands) would have to be made and sold to make it cost effective. Unless someone knows of a die maker who would do this for the love of the hobby, it looks pretty bleak.

#25 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:21 PM

I mentioned many session back that there is a company in England that makes metal boxes. They make boxes for candy, cookies and many other things. Around 20 years ago I got a box they made that held 3 cigars. That box was a close copy of the AO box. I dont know the name of the company, but I bet they have dies that would be close if not exact to what is needed.
Is there anyone on this site who lives in England that could check this out? I sold the box with a Thompson and this size was exact as the original, only thing their name was stamped on the bottom of the box which would show it was not an original. I saw a lighter the other day sold by Brunton which came in a metal box - not of the right size, but I am sure Brunton didnt spend thousands for the dies for something that could have come in a cardboard box just as well.

#26 SgtMartin

SgtMartin

• Regular Group
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:36 PM

I'm from the uk. can i help you out at all?

#27 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 14 October 2003 - 07:12 PM

Sgt Martin - the company that I am speaking of makes metal boxes for all types of uses. The box that comes close to the thompson parts box was made for cigars. I am not sure where in the UK the company is located. When I was in Ireland I saw products from the Uk in boxes made by the company in the UK - the name of the stamping company is always on the bottom of the metal box. It is my impression they have been in business for at least 50 years or more. A trip to a local market might turn up the name. I tried to find the company by contacting tabacco stores, with no luck. Try local cigar stores. Someone posted a response that the box is the same as an early singer sewing machine parts box. GOOD LUCK

#28 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3455 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 08:39 PM

Ron,
The fact that the company's name was stamped on the bottom of a box that could be a facsimile for a TSMG spare parts box is a very good thing. This craze to manufacture reproduction Colt TSMG accessories and parts, without any markings on them to make it implicit they are copies, is poison for the collector market.

#29 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 14 October 2003 - 08:52 PM

Long as it poisons the anal idiot know it all collectors we will all be better off! But we don't have a single one of those here do we?

Im glad

Jr

#30 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 08:54 PM

Arthur - you are right - I have been suckered before. I know this company still exists in the UK. I like the idea of the mfg name being on the box.

#31 SgtMartin

SgtMartin

• Regular Group
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:07 AM

if you have a picture of the actual parts box which it resembled, i can check out a few stores near me which may have the actual thing. if not there are a lot of tobaconists around here aswell as antiques markets etc.
il keep a look out.

#32 adlake

adlake

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Fords(1982 Ford Fairmont,351-C, AOD,sport style Futura.), 1920-1930 lifestyles, all thompson guns (except M-1).

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:16 PM

[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]
One box I plan on using for my case when I am done with it is a ALTOIDS box there available at any gas station. There close although I never seen a real Thompson box and painted a black-blue hint could pass as one. Kinda of a 50/50 paint scheme for a car (50ft. at 50MPH and it looks good.)-adlake

#33 SgtMartin

SgtMartin

• Regular Group
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 05:03 PM

i found this on ebay. sorry to resurect this topic, but is the tin in this along the lines of what you are looking for?link

#34 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 06:16 PM

Not even close - the original box is the same size and shape of a 20rd mag. made so it will fit in the canvas pouch that holds 20 rd mags. I have seen cigar boxes which held 3 cigars which were almost the correct size, just not thick enough.

#35 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 09 November 2003 - 07:18 PM

WTF!!? That is NO Thompson Spare Parts Box! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#36 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 07:20 PM

I haven't had a laugh like that in a looong time! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#37 SgtMartin

SgtMartin

• Regular Group
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 12:55 PM

woah sorry! haha, i just thought cus one guy said an altoids box. that looks similar to me. sorry

#38 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:09 PM

SgtMartin, no need to be sorry. Just a little humorous! What you showed is something Kahr would claim to be a "Replica" laugh.gif
There are photos of Spare Parts Boxes in some of the books on Thompsons. There was some really good photos of such in a past issue of the "Thompson Collectors News" as well.

#39 nobra81

nobra81

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's-------- all class 3

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:23 PM

i made some measurements of my box and took some pics--what is the best way to send them to you

steve