Spare Parts Box

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#1 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

Received my Spare Parts Box from Gordon Herigstad, and I have to say, it's truly impressive! Made of quite heavy metal, and is exact in every detail to an original. Box appears to be unmarked. Came packaged in a light brown carton with a Thompson Sticker at one end, and the Box which was contained inside was carefully wrapped in brown paper. Overall, certainly worth the money paid. Something that would be a beautiful addition to any growning Thompson Collection. There was also a paper located within the Metal Box telling of the proper contents!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

#2 nobra81

nobra81

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's-------- all class 3

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

I agree with you a 100% lionheart. I got mine today, I'm still comparing it with my original to see if I can spot any differences. If there are any they must be hidden very well. I hope there are some, so collectors can tell the original from the repro. These could cause lots of trouble. I think I have picked up on a couple of things. But it could be something unique to my original spare parts box.

It is truly worth the money for such a quality item.

Steve

#3 aut-ord-co

aut-ord-co

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

Good looking boxes! Looks like a good buy!

#4 h46pedro

h46pedro

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

smile.gif I just got my spare box today, I am very happy. Good Job!
Thanks,
Al

#5 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

I was looking at the content list. I'm a little afraid to ask, but what's a thong?

#6 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1634 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:24 PM

Thong is the string and pull bob thing for a bore brush.
NOT something the guys want to see at the beach.

#7 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:33 PM

ohmy.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#8 Sig

Sig

• 1634 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:40 PM

There is a pic of the contents with an original box on my site.
I can not post a better pic of the brush and thong right now.

#9 Grumpy

Grumpy

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:46 PM

Got my Spares Box and rod today. Super nice Gordon!

Bill

#10 The Moor

The Moor

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:09 PM

The thong is the piece of waxed string attached to the brass weight on one end and the bristle bore brush on the other end. Look in Hill's book or Cox's book and you will see the "thong".

Yes this box is an exact duplicate (looks like Worchester Pressed Steel is back in business). Not a fairly-close cheap copy like the canvas cases that IMA is selling. Maybe Gordon can find a manufacturer in the US to do the canvas cases correctly.

I don't see how these boxes can create any trouble to the collectors who have original boxes. These duplicates in no way make the original any less original. The satisfaction of owning an original should not be diminished by the fact that most collectors will now own a duplicate. After all, how many original boxes have been offered for sale in the last 5 years. Collectors simply do not want to part with them. Now if we start seeing "original" boxes for sale on e-bay and elsewhere just ignore them. We know that the owners of the originals will not sell them so we can safely assume that these advertised boxes are the duplicates. Simple as that.

On the other hand I have seen a few original canvas spare parts kits for sale in the last five years. They were expensive but at least a fellow collector had the opportunity to acquire one. I'll bet you won't see any more of them for sale for a long time as they are now the rarest Thompson accessory again.

#11 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:14 PM

Gee I hope my wife comes home from Indiana soon. All this talk of 'boxes' and 'thongs'........

#12 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:30 PM

No......we're keeping her here for a few more days. Thanks. Didn't I see her out at the 500 qualifications the other day? wink.gif

#13 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:15 PM

I missed the price. How much did this reproduction empty tin box cost?

#14 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:19 PM

$275.00 If you purchase another the second one is $250.00

#15 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 780 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:45 AM

Sorry, just can't see forking over $275 for a new little tin box. I don't see why it was so expensive to produce. Sounds to me like some money is being made by someone! dry.gif

Mike Hammer

#16 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:29 AM

The tooling costs thousands and thousands of dollars to set something like this up. One other forum member already looked into that a few years ago. The prices charged are to recoup the investment. Even at $250-275, it may be a while before that's done. Might be cheaper to do in China, but you got to set that up over there.

I'm cheap by nature and won't/can't bring myself to play this hand. I still choke on paying more than $250 for an "L" drum (which is what they were at Knob Creek just a few years ago). I'm still hoping to find an original box at a garage sale for $5 or for a buddy to give me one. biggrin.gif laugh.gif wink.gif Besides, I'm saving for a Reising. unsure.gif

Farbe it for me to judge anyone making them and asking that much and farbe it for me to judge someone for paying that much for something that makes them happy.

My wife, on the other hand, would kill me for spending $2500 for an original box or $250 for a repro box, so it's a moot point anyway.

#17 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

While some may find these a bit pricey at first, they will most certainly be tomorrows collectibles. We also need to thank Doug Richardson for his particpation in the project, as he had done the Engineering on these.

#18 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:49 PM

user posted image

#19 Sig

Sig

• 1634 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:31 PM

Sweeeett

#20 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:55 PM

Now I would buy one of Greg Fox's Thompson cases (after I buy my Reising) biggrin.gif Then I'll need a case for the Reising