Beltway Sniper Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:22 AM

I've seen liberals use the beltway sniper incident as a reason against assualt weapons. I was curious if the snipers in the Beltway incident actually used a preban AR15, or was their AR15 configured as postban, not legally considered an assault weapon. Anyone know?

#2 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:04 AM

Sgt, the Firearm used in those crimes was a post 1994 Busmaster stolen from the Bullseye Shooter Supply in Tacoma, Washington.

#3 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:10 AM

That figures! Just think how the general public uses this in defense of the assault weapons ban, yet this gun wasn't even an assault weapon. Go figure!

#4 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:21 AM

The dishonest liberals, portray to the public, 'assault wepoans' as machine guns. That is the impression the libs want in the air-heads of the public out there...The general public, just don't understand the legal 'machine gun world'.... blink.gif .......................jw

#5 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:02 PM

The simple truth is, if the guy would have been shooting a machine gun (in full auto mode); it would have been much easier to locate him.

Maybe they should ban any car that can be shot out of! Hell, it would cut down on the drive-bys and such! wink.gif Oh, I forgot; the oil companies would never allow that to happen! dry.gif

ANY nut with ANY weapon can kill almost ANYone ANY time they want to.

Norm

#6 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

Phil, don't look now, but the effort is well under way to ban anything that remotely resembles a gun...The anti rights/social engineers out there are trying at every turn to actively ban every thing from squirt gun on up...In Austrailia they simply stated that the single shot .22's where viewed as single shot rabbit killers by the average Austrailian but they where in fact "single shot people killers" and they demanded that they be registered in the same class as an "assault rifle" Also, Austrailia also has banned the importation of all post 1898 replica airsoft,modelguns,paintballguns etc. To make "Austrailia safer" Well, we know how well that has worked sofar!

#7 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1008 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:15 PM

Guys (and girls) - "They" have already won the war against guns. We are just too stupid to speak out at a school board meeting for fear of being labeled a misfit. If you don't believe me, just send your kid to school with a squirt-gun and see what happens. Yeah - I know I'm getting old, but when I went to school 2/3 of the boys had a pocket knife (not for a weapon) in their pocket and many brought guns and ammo in their cars so we could go hunting after school. Go to your school library and see how many gun/firearm related magazines are in the library. How many copies of NRA publications do you think you will find? Zero tolerance - guns are evil (not people who misuse guns). unsure.gif

#8 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:34 PM

hawksnest--
I remember those times when things were different. We had our knives in our pockets and during recess we would play different games with them. I still have the old Marine Corp pocket knife I carried back then. No one would think of stabbing another. Somehow that was considered sissy if you used anything except your fists in a fight. Well, maybe it was different in the bigger cities, but at least that is the way I remembered it in my small rural community. It's a different culture now and I guess the hip thing for a kid is to be like their rapper gangster role models. As far as winning the anti gun crowd, I don't know how to do that except maybe by voting or promoting firearms as a sport. To put it in the mainstream might offset some of that wacko stigma. unsure.gif

#9 Poprivit

Poprivit

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:25 PM

I'm a writer and have written a bit of science fiction. Ever wonder what kind of world we will have if everything that certain
\people want banned gets banned? just exactly what kind of world are these" banners" striving for?
Plus, what the hell would they do with nothing to crusade against?

Ps. I remember reading a long time ago that Dianne Finestein(sp?) actually owns two handguns.
Her quote was " I'll get rid of them after guns are banned." Intewresting, eh?
We all be equal, but some are a tad bit more equal than others.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I feel the need for making many empty brass .45 cases.

Poprivit (somewhere in outer Nevada) dry.gif

#10 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:54 PM

Poprivit--
This board is always full of interesting people. Good to hear that you do sci fi writing. The topics such as you suggest make great inspiration for the utopia genre. It reminds me of the Walgreen commercial about showing a glimpse into the "world of perfect." In this world everyone is a winner; all baseball hits are runs for the home team; the player's uniforms never get dirty; everything is perfect. If you look a little closer, what a horrible, boring existence that would be. Sure, we pass laws for the good of society, but let's not surpass the limits of good sense. Liberals want a perfect PC world, at the expense of personal freedoms, responsiblity, and individualism. "Don't you dare embrace the traditions of this country, lest you offend someone." Gosh, wonder when that became a law? I never knew we had the right not to be offended. Well, maybe I'm being too simplistic! Thanks for letting me borrow your soap box.

#11 DDAYJune6

DDAYJune6

• Regular Group
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:31 PM

we can pretty much do the same things we just can talk about them

there were many days this year that I took my shotguns to school to do some small game hunting after - I just kept them in the trunk and didnt breath a word of it

this may seem hard to believe for you guys but last year we actually had a kid expelled and he couldnt graduate because our school police officer found a bow in his back seat

Edited by DDAYJune6, 01 June 2004 - 11:32 PM.

#12 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:20 AM

Students have been suspended for even less than that. I can't get the facts about this, but I do recall a talk show discussing the suspension of a student for carrying pointed sissors.

#13 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:50 AM

This reminds me of the time when I was in catholic grade school. The very strict nun that was the principal rewarded me for a good deed I had done (must have been an accident) with a very nice pocket knife that I carry to this day. You can be sure that sort of thing will never happen again.

That was a simpler and IMO better time we lived in.