- - - - -

Fond Farewell,

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that goes "Boom".

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:15 PM

Wow, I am still a really new member here, but it would be a shame to lose any knowledgeable people. Guys like me need guys like you to learn from. There are those of us who want to learn about the beloved Thompsons - so we can carry on the tradition and eventually pass down the valuable information we get out of a great forum like this one.
So all of you RKIs PLEASE STAY for the benefit of all.

Edited by Tex, 05 June 2004 - 09:16 PM.

#22 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:40 PM

Murray,

I feel your pain brother, see ya again at the next SAR.

BTW, I had a rape investigation, high risk stop (stolen occupied), stolen vehicle recovery and a death investigation today at work.

Life is way too short to put up with idiots, but they seem to find me. laugh.gif

Best regards!!

#23 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:31 AM

After careful consideration of the 20 odd posts from my earlier message and after viewing the dozens of really nice emails I have received today, I have reconsidered my position and come to the conclusion that "I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face".

What has persuaded me has been the reaction from you all, coupled with Nicks' reaction (not surprising) and a couple of e-mails from very young interested "really want to be Thompson collectors" who have told me how much they had learned from me and you all on this forum.

No one mentioned in posts or depatches sent me the email. In fact it was fairly anonymous, but nasty and was from some one who obviously reads the forum and holds a grudge but I do not believe it was any of you all so rest assured.

Which should remind us all of just how many people do read this forum and how careful we all should be.

So,like it or not, I'm back, warts, pimples and all, but Hey!

What about us policing ourselves, no off subject subjects, no abuse of others regardless of how we feel, lets talk Thompson not twaddle!, Drums not drivel,
Mags not madness and Colts not crap!
If it's not about Thompsons don,t post

Yours sincerly
Murray

#24 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:32 AM

Murray, please reconsider your plans, as no one is perfect but God! blink.gif We all appreciate your voice. tongue.gif biggrin.gif Don't silence your own voice. ohmy.gif Best Regards, Walter

#25 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1626 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 05:19 AM

Murray
Welcome back
michael

#26 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:04 AM

Murray,

I'm glad you reconsidered - welcome back!

Balder

#27 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:26 AM

Murray,..I`m glad you reconsidered...I haven`t fully recovered from your `Irish Sword`picture post...heavy breathing,heart racing and big smiles to everyone I show the post to...we all value you input and hope this situation is resolved. wink.gif

#28 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:11 AM

Murray, Welcome back my friend. I'm glad you decided to stay despite the few. I've thought about several times of just not writing anything because of some, but then I thought, Hey! What the hell. Just because of someone who doesn't know Jack Schitt pisses me off is no reason to walk away. Stand ground. I always look forward to your knowledge or humor.

#29 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

Murray--
That's fantastic!! You've made my day. I'm still learning a lot about Thompsons, only having owned one for about a year now. Your knowledge and expertise makes the exerience even fuller. A hearty welcome back!

#30 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the reconsideration!

Your presence is needed, and much appreciated by many.

#31 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:39 AM

Murray,
Please, please reconsider...
It's your type of comitment and knowledge that makes this such a special place.
I'm one of the few that probably won't ever own a FA Thompson. But 30 years ago when at Sarco parts
I was given the opertunity to hold and examine a few. The bug bit and that was that.
Your collections show such a strong desire to preserve history, we all learn from it. Really, please don't
act hastly, there are so very few of your caliber willing to share.
All my best,
Craig Zammiello

#32 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:43 AM

Wow, I should have finnished reading the thread, so quick was my reaction.
Welcome back freind from New Zealand!!
Zamm

#33 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:59 AM

Murray, I didn't have a chance to weigh in until now, but just let me say, You're a Gentleman and a Scholar! We all expect people to behave the same way we do, i.e., a scoundrel is suspicious of honest people. You are an intelligent, secure person with a lot of class, and you expect others to be the same. It's a sad commentary that they don't.

Having said all of that, I'm really glad you're back. I've learned a lot and enjoyed getting to know you a little bit, albeit vicariously.

Nick, thanks for jumping in. I have always felt this board could use more decorum, and this is a telling example. I know no one wants to be the bad guy and play "hall monitor," but a little more comity wouldn't hurt.

#34 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:09 AM

Welocme back Murray, we saved your seat for you! wink.gif

#35 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:12 PM

Murray, please stay.
We need you here.

See you and your Wife in August!!

john laugh.gif

#36 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:55 PM

Murray, I'm very pleased that you are back! biggrin.gif Some of us, especially we Americans, can be an opinionated and outspoken lot. I, for one, enjoy mixing it up on political and social ideas, as related to crime and gun control. cool.gif However, I have tried not to involve ad hominem attacks, especially on board members. unsure.gif So, if it is a bit of a culture-clash, try to be understanding of your Yankee friends. blink.gif Well, have a great Thompson day. Best regards, Walter

#37 Tom28

Tom28

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (Murray @ Jun 6 2004, 03:31 AM)

So,like it or not, I'm back, warts, pimples and all, but Hey!

What about us policing ourselves, no off subject subjects, no abuse of others regardless of how we feel, lets talk Thompson not twaddle!, Drums not drivel,

Yours sincerly
Murray

Welcome back, Murray. That self-policing which you talk about is a full time job...for everybody...not selectively. Sometimes we need to react to what was said, rather than what we think was in the back of somebody's mind, etc. I've been guilty of drawing incorrect conclusions a couple of times.

And after all, neither pimples or warts are contagious via the Internet. biggrin.gif

Edited by Tom28, 06 June 2004 - 03:08 PM.

#38 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:05 PM

Murry,

smile.gif Thanks for staying, we need people with an IQ not a mouth or an ax to grind to stay or it will be like some other boards, academia driven out by idiocy. If you let them do it once they will do it forever.

rolleyes.gif Now if it was only as easy to keep good people in Ill. it would be a class 3 state with right to carry privlages.

Best regards
BB

#39 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:19 PM

Good show Murray; biggrin.gif The Concrete Battleship still firing !.............jw

#40 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2883 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:26 PM

Murray,
Welcome Back. I was hoping you would change your mind. You are a real asset to this board. It is unbelievable someone would give you a hard time given the number of Thompsons you own (or have owned). I like what you said about policing ourselves. I totally agree. Lets only post about Thompsons. If someone needs to post on another subject, take it (or perhaps Nick can move it) to another forum.
Tom