Sbr Approval Arrives.. But..

Got my SBR approval today from the BATF. 68 days since pending. Over 100 days since I sent it in.

However, I got an addendum warning about constructing a "semuautomatic assault weapon".

BTW AFT if you are reading this, paragraphs 3 and 4, the word is "least" not "lease".

Anyway, does putting a detachable stock on a SBR thompson violate 18-USC922? It is not folding nor telescoping.

I know people have done this before, but are we sure it is legal?

Thanks,

Under a strict reading of the law, a detachable stock is OK. 921(a)(30)(http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif defines a "semiautomatic assault rifle" and lists the qualifiers as "the ability to accept a a detachable magazine and has at least two of [ the following ] -

(i) a folding or telescopic stock; ..." No mention of a detachable stock, however. Ergo, as long as your stock neither folds nor telescopes, it's not prohibited.

Keep in mind, even though you SBR is an NFA device, it also a post-ban SBR is also an "assault weapon" under the law (see 922(v).) "Semiautomatic assualt weapon" and "short barreled rifle" are not mutally exclusive.

Congrats!!

I just got my Form 1 back today with the same addendum. I figure if it was legal for me to buy with a 16 inch barrel and a XXX mag, it will still be legal with a 10.5 inch barrel. PK is still working on it, so I hope to have some pics online fairly soon once I get it back.