Sbr Approval Arrives.. But..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fencer

Fencer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:WWII U.S. military weapons, Air to Air combat. I was involved with a game called AirWarrior, doing some work on the two published versions of the game. I love the P-51 Mustang, and used to operate a website devoted to photos of various P-51s I took over the years. Basset Hounds Rule!

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:24 PM

Got my SBR approval today from the BATF. 68 days since pending. Over 100 days since I sent it in.

However, I got an addendum warning about constructing a "semuautomatic assault weapon".

BTW AFT if you are reading this, paragraphs 3 and 4, the word is "least" not "lease".

Anyway, does putting a detachable stock on a SBR thompson violate 18-USC922? It is not folding nor telescoping.
I know people have done this before, but are we sure it is legal?

Thanks,

#2 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:46 PM

Under a strict reading of the law, a detachable stock is OK. 921(a)(30)(cool.gif defines a "semiautomatic assault rifle" and lists the qualifiers as "the ability to accept a a detachable magazine and has at least two of [ the following ] -
(i) a folding or telescopic stock; ..." No mention of a detachable stock, however. Ergo, as long as your stock neither folds nor telescopes, it's not prohibited.

Keep in mind, even though you SBR is an NFA device, it also a post-ban SBR is also an "assault weapon" under the law (see 922(v).) "Semiautomatic assualt weapon" and "short barreled rifle" are not mutally exclusive.

#3 TommyFan

TommyFan

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:23 PM

Congrats!!
I just got my Form 1 back today with the same addendum. I figure if it was legal for me to buy with a 16 inch barrel and a XXX mag, it will still be legal with a 10.5 inch barrel. PK is still working on it, so I hope to have some pics online fairly soon once I get it back.