• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 savingmypesos

savingmypesos

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:14 AM

I am looking for a West Hurley. Can anyone provide useful advice on where to look for reasonable pricing and availability?

TIA,

Jim

#2 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:20 AM

Listed this morning on Sturmgewehr.

http://www.sturmgewe....cgi?read=45671

#3 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:30 AM

Keep looking on the Boards, Sturmgewehr and Subguns...Religiously...grab it before someone else does...Post on those boards that you are wanting one, put a price range on your WTB ad...if you have Gunshows nearby, go to them talk to the guys who have the NFA weapons..

Getting one for a "reasonable" price is not impossible but you do have to do some "legwork"...

I got mine for more than I originally wanted to spend, but I haven't found one cheaper than what I'm paying for it. either...

#4 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:03 AM

The W.H. listed is what I paid for my Savage, only about a year ago.

#5 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2061 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:33 AM

I paid the same as Sgt for a Savage 6 months ago, too.

But keep in mind there is about $1500-$2000 worth of accessories - if the drum prices stay at $500+/per.

Good luck!

#6 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:51 PM

Start calling around your local (read: in-state) class 3 dealers. I bet only 5 percent of them or less advertise on places like subguns or that crazy Buddy site. I walked into mine about two years ago for $7200 at a C3 up the road, but I fear those prices are gone forever. Who knows, you may find one. My dealer, http://www.eliteguns.com/index3.html, gets them now and then. I know he's had four Westies in the past year. Might not hurt to call him (Jason) and see if he has leads...

#7 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

Yea, Panda, I didn't notice the three drums and other accessories. That does help offset that final price.

#8 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:28 PM

Why limit yourself to a WH when the originals are about the same price?

#9 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

My 28 Westie arrived at my dealer yesterday. Getting closer to possesion. I paid 10K with the 50rd drum but no other extras. I winced as I wrote out both checks but figured that was the most I would pay for a WH. Resist that urge for a 12.5k WH. Prices can be negotiated.

#10 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1684 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:30 PM

Roland, please contact me, I've got your gun racks done.

Dan

#11 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:40 AM

huh.gif Roland, if this is any comfort, you are not alone....Paid 9.5k last Sep, for my w/HURLEY, with one WH drum & 8 mags, from a gentleman in Tulsa, Okla; So 10k now, Jun 04, seems about on schedule..... blink.gif ...and Jim, keep searching...It'll happen.....jw

#12 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:21 AM

Dearest Jim they are not the same price if you are describing "originals" as the early Colts, they are double what a WH 1928 wil bring today. I paid a bunch for mine in the box about a grand more than I should have but I wanted in before they could go up more as they surly will do-Next year it will look like I own it right even though less is better, at my age I would rather have the extra time to shoot it than search for it. Trying to get all the NFA types I want now and then let the devil take the hindmost regarding future price increases. Now on to the AM180 search.

Mark