• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 v188

v188

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:47 PM

Good grab there Darin!

BTW I just picked up my toy from Dave this week. Haven't shot it yet, but it fit right up in my Bushmaster. Oh, I'm also moving down to MO, so maybe I'll have to stop by sometime, I'm interested in some of your toys, e.g. AR47, etc.

Take care,
Ray

#22 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:32 PM

Congrats Darin!

The nice ones go fast. Now the waiting begins.

#23 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:37 PM

In all seriousness, I have heard that some early M1's were cut for drums to take advantage of those out in the field. Greg, can you shed any light on this? See any out of PD's that looked originally done like this? Then again, if it came from a movie rental house, who knows what sort of nasty things were done to the poor gun.

I pulled M1 out of the air. I could not access the ad, but figured it was an M1 variant with what people where saying about the slot for the drum. Funny how it ended up being an M1 and not an M1A1.

Norm wrote (with my mention of JB Weld, Dremel tool, etc): "The thought of those items near a Thompson SMG makes my A$$ PUCKER!"

(In a Foghorn Leghorn voice) It was a joke, I say, it was a joke, son.

Black electrical tape is a good field expedient should those other items not be available or (in a Tim the Enchanter voice) "if one does doubt their courage and ability with the JB Weld and the Dremel tool"

#24 Darin Reiss

Darin Reiss

• Regular Group
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:14 PM

v188,

Do you mean Dave Hineline in South Sioux City, NE? Did I sell you a NIW SWD registered lightning link? I sold one to my old neighbor in South Dakota (when I used to live in God's country) and he has run SEVERAL thousand rounds through it with the SWD RLL. It hasn't missed a beat

I redid the AR-47 tonight with a DPMS Lo-Pro upper receiver. Milling the magwell opening for the AK-47 mag was much easier with the thicker upper receiver walls. The AR-47 lower required considerable gunsmithing to make work. I bought a stripped lower from Michael's Machines and built it up from there. The upper is a Model 1 sales 7.62 x 39 11.5". I had to send the barrel back as the chamber was undercut and it wouldn't function.

I am going to the Wyandotte, OK shoot tomorrow. Tom Hoel is stopping by on his way to it from Golden, CO. We will caravan from here. I have Dave Hineline's space along with Chad McCumbers from Lincoln, NE. Dave has to go to Munich, Germany for training so we will use his space. I will be bringing the AR-47. Hopefully it will work, I didn't have a chance to test fire it tonight. Now that I live in town, I can't shoot guns (little lone machineguns) off the porch anymore!

I will take a pic of the AR-47 and post it here as soon as I can upload the pic to hunt101.

Thanks,
Darin

#25 Darin Reiss

Darin Reiss

• Regular Group
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:26 PM

Here is the pic:

user posted image

Do you like the green furniture? It came from Rock River Arms. When I took it out the box, I didn't like it, but after I assembled it, I like it. Plus, there is not mistaking it for any of my other M16's.

Darin

#26 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:45 PM

Yea, Darin, that Thompson looks like its in good shape, nice and clean! Don't do anything to the slot, if it doesn't bother you. Most of all, don't let Waffen get near it with those expedients! He's either a dentist or an ATF agent. LOL

#27 Darin Reiss

Darin Reiss

• Regular Group
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:51 PM

Sgt,
I don't know about the slots. I will probably leave as is. My Dad will probably like the slot because he can shoot his 50 drums in it! I doubt I will do anything. If they were welded back then the parkerizing would show it. Du-Lite might be able to hide it (I am not familiar with the Du-Lite process, but I do manganese phosphating) but Parking won't.
Thanks,
Darin

#28 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 18 June 2004 - 06:26 PM

Ok, if you do doubt your skills with JB Weld and permanent marker, then the trick to make the weld look like the rest of the gun is to cut some receiver metal from some hidden part of the receiver, powder it and use it to fill the slots. Color to appropriate finish with marker.

How low is the SN on the gun?

Dentist or ATF agent? "Is it safe?" cool.gif unsure.gif Hey! Give someone years of gunsmithing knowledge and get kicked in the bullocks (although there have been great strides in the application of JB Weld in do it yourself home dentistry). And I've heard that some people in ATF have some bitchin' gun collections.

#29 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:09 PM

Waffen--
I wondered if you would respond to that terrible crack. You made my day! biggrin.gif

#30 v188

v188

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:36 PM

Darin,

Yep, I was up at Dave's house earlier this week. He's going to take in some Euro "culture" for awhile.

I'll have to contact you sometime off line about that AR47. I think it might be interesting. FYI, Quarterbore might have figured out a way to make the LL work in an AR10! Photos on Arf-com.

BTW I like that green looks great. Of course your Tommy looks much better!!!!