Mills Canvas Case

A couple of quick questions concerning the Mills Canvas Cases. I have one of the earlier Mills cases made for the 1921 Thompson without a compensator. It is the Type A case as reported in the Thompson Collectors News, No. 152 on Page 3.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone do or know someone that does repairs? I have one snap where the male end is broken off. It seems like it would be an easy repair with the proper tools and parts.

2. My short brass cleaning rod does not seem to fit with the snap on the inside of the case. The rod appears to be a half-inch to one inch too long. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this with the 24-inch Mills Canvas Case? It was my understanding the brass rods came in only two lengths and I know I have the short rod.

3. I have never seen the IMA reproduction canvas case. Does it have the place inside the case for the cleaning rod? The addition of the cleaning rod slot would seem to be an awful lot of detail work for an inexpensive reproduction. I have heard the quality on these IMA cases are quite good so I was wondering if the cleaning rod slot would be one way to tell an original case from a reproduction IMA case.

Thanks,

TD I can email a picture of a case that I have with that exact repair as a guide for you to use.

I would say find as close a match material as you can, IMA reproduction? Then find a quality heavy seamstress and go for it.

The reason I suggest this is that I can not imagine anyone on these boards having knowledge of someone who has done repairs (more than one). A seamstress on the other hand will have experience with a variety of materials and repairs.

Have him/her practice on a sacrificial reproduction until they get it perfect.

Send me your email address and I will send a photo.

OH the IMA cases have the rod inside

michael

Thanks Michael,

My e-mail address is on the way. I don't think I need any material. The base of the male snap is firmly attached to the material on my case. It is the male end or extension that has broken off from the base that needs replacement.

So the IMA cases have the cleaning rod slot on the inside. I need to look at one of these cases. I can't believe they are 70 bucks.

Thanks,

Tom