• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:27 PM

I'm rather seriously toying with the idea of WWII reenacting and slightly less seriously toying with the idea of blank-adapting my M1 TSMG. What I'm hoping(?) thinking(?) about is some sort of fairly unobtrusive balnk adapter that doesn't involve wrecking a barrel or preventing me from shooting live ammo when I want. (And yes, I have a spare barrel, but as we all know, swapping out a TSMG barrel isn't like swapping out an MG34 barrel.)

Anyhow...I'm wondering if there is any sort of blank adapter that that attaches to the outside of the barrel...maybe something that fastens around the front sight ring? If not, anyone handy with a mill/lathe? (I envison something along the lines of a washer over the muzzle, with some sort of split ring connector that would lock it behind the front site ring.) Any ideas?

TIA

#2 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

Bill,
PK built me a blank only barrel and a quick change set up for my WH 28. It's simple to change barrels. Take off the front grip, unscrew a small set screw and twist off the barrel. Do the reverse with the other barrel and you're set. I posted some pics of it some time back. A simple search should find them. If not, let me know and I'll send them your way.

#3 M1A1savage

M1A1savage

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, of course...and any WWII related guns/collectables

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

I had one made up from an M-16 blank adapter that is held on by the front sight. Send me an e-mail (1sniper@cox.net) and I'll send you some pics.

Greg

#4 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:51 AM

I have a set of drawings for a blank firing device that fits inside the cutts compensator on a 21 or 28. It is completely unobtrusive and allow a nice flame out of the barrel and has a pressure adjusting screw to allow you to adjust the pressure for different types of blanks. It requires no changes to the gun what so ever other than unscrewing the compensator to fit it inside.
It came out of a 1928A1 which was used in the making of "the thin red line"
If yoy want the drawings I will email them to you.

#5 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:12 AM

Bill,

It would not be difficult to do a split collar device for the “A” style barrel if function and preservation of the bore were the prime objectives. I would suggest that the collar fit on the barrel behind the sight boss so that the thrust is taken by the boss instead of the sight alone. Otherwise, were the sight to come loose it would be embarrassing at best and dangerous at worst.

#6 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:25 AM

PK,
That's pretty much what I was thinking, in spite of my terminology. Like Murray suggested, blank-adapting a '21 or'28 would be a lot easier since I could just modify the Cutts. (My problem is that I'd need a '28 TSMG...a Cutts on an M1 just doesn't seem to sit well with me.) As you stated, function and preservation of the bore are the prime objectives, so internal muzzle threads are out (even though I toyed with the idea of a bfa designed something along the lines of the Rem-choke shotgun choke tubes...one that'd work as a bfa, the other as nothing more than a smooth sleeve...it still seemed too iffy though. Moreover, I'm not a machinist, or TSMG mechanic, nor do I have access to anything other than a friend's small, anitquated lathe.)

I envisioned something maybe an inch or less in overall length. and about teh same ID of the muzzle and sight ring. The hole could be deliberately made undersized so it could be tuned to the specific blank load. I don't suppose you'd have any interest in maybe cobbling one up would you?

#7 Shane

Shane

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Class 3 , WW2

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:17 PM

I tapped the barrel on my M1. All that is required is a 1/2 tap, then use a 1/2 set screw with a hole in it. The threads in the barrel DO NOT affect the gun with live ammo.

Shane

#8 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the info Shane, but I'm afraid I have no intention of tapping my muzzle. It's not that I'm worried about affecting accuracy, but rather I don't want to go through the hassle of carbon (or lead) buildup in the muzzle threads.

Greg, thanks for the pictures. I got your email this morning, and it looks like it could be what I'm looking for, but the pictures are a bit dark.