Fun Things To Shoot At

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 45wheelgun

45wheelgun

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:05 AM

I prefer large pink grapefruits as they are about the size of a small childs head and when they explode, they spray small chunks of "brainlike" pink matterial.....but then again...I am sick and twisted. ph34r.gif

#42 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:48 AM

Phil, your observations about the "self-healing" vinyl on the pins intrigued me, so I did a little "autopsy." You're right, those little black circles conceal bullet holes. In fact, I have several bulges (sans black circles) that look like the beginnings of exits wounds. Just a little more kinetic energy would have enable the bullets to exit completely. I'm not sure whether the bulges are the result of .45 acp or M1 carbine, so I'll try to get some fresh pins and continue my forensic studies.

#43 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that goes "Boom".

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:27 PM

Yep, I was starting to worry about you guys that think a .45 or 9mm "bounces" off a bowling pin. wink.gif I've been shooting them for years and they eventually get really torn up. I mean, all they are are wood and plastic. .308? .30-06? Hah!!! They make mincemeat out of pins and bowling balls.
If you shoot steel it is wise to keep a good distance and have the plate or whatever angled for deflection away from the line. smile.gif

#44 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:30 PM

Still, I have experienced .32, .45 and 9mm ricocheting off bowling pins.

Balder

#45 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:06 PM

Balder,

I think that richochet is the wrong word.. I think it's more like re-directed.. I think that when the pin spins the bullet is also spun around and re-directed.... I just don't see these rounds bounding off of plastic and wood like has been stated here..especially when shot with a .308 or 30.06....

Junkyard,

Lets use a little common sense and logic here.

Yes, lets do that.. a Buffalo is a large heavy object made of flesh, bone and gristle..a penny is made of copper..but weighs nearly nothing in comparision to either a buffalo or a bowling pin..a bowling pin is made of wood and plastic, usually, but is fairly heavy because of it's intended use. It has mass, a buffalo has mass..the penny has no mass to speak of.. I'm not Newton but I think the laws of resting objects staying at rest applies here...a penny will move more with the round hitting it, if it is a large relatively slow moving like a 50-70, for it has very little mass to keep it at rest...a bowling pin and a buffalo will remain at rest as the bullet passes through the outer covering/skin because they have a specific gravity that allows them to remain at rest as this happens.... Now as the pin turns can it not be that the spin put on the pin by the force of the bullet strike makes the bullet turn along with the pin and the exit could make the bullet return toward the shooter or off to some angle that would make it look as if it has bounced off????

Also a Buffalo herd moves at the speed of the slowest member of the herd...predators catch and kill off these slower/weaker animals and in doing so increases the speed and efficiency of the herd. As we all know alchohol kills brain cells but, as with the buffalo, it kills off the slower weaker brain cells first making the brain a faster more efficient organ..this is why you always feel a lil smarter after a couple of beers...... rolleyes.gif

#46 junkyard4$

junkyard4$

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

Now as the pin turns can it not be that the spin put on the pin by the force of the bullet strike makes the bullet turn along with the pin and the exit could make the bullet return toward the shooter or off to some angle that would make it look as if it has bounced off????

Hawkeye_Joe,
There you go, weather the bullet is bouncing off of the pin or it is "re-directed" it could still come back at you. Is a "re-directed" bullet safer than a bounced bullet? If anyone here has been hit with a "re-directed" bullet let us know, does it hurt? Yeah, I guess a bowling pin and a buffalo are pretty much the same thing, one is 5 pounds and the other is 2,000 pounds, that's only 400 times heavier. Next time I go bowling I’ll just take the Sharps.

#47 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

I guess a bowling pin and a buffalo are pretty much the same thing,

You have a knack for missing the point don't you ? huh.gif

I'll tell you this.. I don't want to be hit by any of the three ( buffalo, penny, bowling pin) dropped off the Empire State Building..(or by 40 foot tall apes either).....Oh but which one would hit the pavement first???

Gunner,

Would you try a .308 on one for me and see if the holes are just closed on both sides??

#48 junkyard4$

junkyard4$

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:20 PM

Hawkeye_Joe,
Missing the point? My original point was that I know it to be unsafe to shoot bowling pins because a bullet can come back at you weather it is bounced back or "re-directed" back at you. That's my point and you even agreed when you said a bullet could be "re-directed" when shot at a bowling pin. There is more than enough people that agreed that it doesn't need to be discussed any further. All I wanted to do was to try and prevent innocent people from getting shot, then I get a bunch of you saying it is safe and even promoting it. Do you not care if you or anyone else gets shot?

#49 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:30 PM

I rest my case.

Balder

#50 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that goes "Boom".

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:40 PM

How close to these pins have you guys shot for it to be unsafe?
We always kept around 30 to 50 yds and have never experienced ricochets , redirections or anything that would be considered unsafe. Are you guys shooting them outside up north where they would be frozen and much harder to penetrate?
I'm just trying to understand why several of you have had bad experiences, when we've been doing this for years and never had it happen.
Matter of fact the only redirection I personally ever had was from a .380 auto that hit a rock and came straight back. It was in bright daylight and I actually not only saw it, but I stopped with my gloved hand trying to protect myself. Put a bit of a knot in my palm but no broken skin or anything.

#51 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1020 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Jul 5 2004, 01:06 PM)
Also a Buffalo herd moves at the speed of the slowest member of the herd...predators catch and kill  off these slower/weaker animals  and in doing so increases the speed and efficiency of the herd.  As we all know alchohol kills brain cells but, as with the buffalo, it kills off the slower weaker brain cells first making the brain a faster more efficient organ..this is why you always feel a lil smarter after a couple of beers......

I'll drink to that! rolleyes.gif

#52 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:07 AM

Hey Phil, It was a thought... something had to explain how .308 and 9MM and Buffalo rifle rounds were "bouncing off" of plastic coated wooden Shmoo's....Like I said before.. why isn't the military using this super plastic on its armored fighting vehicles?? laugh.gif

Do you not care if you or anyone else gets shot?

Well yeah ....I said that in my very first post when I agreed with Norm...

But you had the best advise of all:

To be 100% (or at least 99.9%) sure that your target won't throw a round back at you, stick with soft targets. They are messy though, but no ricochets. Milk jugs full of water have nice effect, and water just dries up.

Remember, when it comes to firearms: better safe than sorry!

Then again in my second post:
If I were the Second Chance Co. and people were being hit by richochets I would look for new targets. 

If I had a "collection" of rounds I'd been hit with .. I'd step back a lil more and show up at matches looking like a "bomb defuser" . 

I think this subject has been beaten worse than a dead horse.....no matter what anyone says, some one will say that it "Happened to them." Or "It couldn't happen."....I'm signing off of it as of now....

#53 junkyard4$

junkyard4$

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:49 AM

It is really amazing that even though it is spelled out in black and white people still can't see it. I never said that a .308 would bounce off, but somehow that's how you read it. It's like when people ask me questions about an auction I am running, like "how much is shipping" when it is stated right there in the auction. Just READ the darn thing!!! My original posts were not to enhance my ego, they were to warn people of the dangers I saw and experienced. I had nothing to gain by them. Now you have me out to be some bad guy. So now I have learned my lesson, if I see someone that needs help or is about to endanger themselves I will just keep on walking. That is what this country has come to. Hawkeye_Joe, you must be the smartest person in your world, all hail to you. Go ahead an quote me on that since you like to pick apart everything I type. Yeah, I'm a real jerk, I try to help people, shame on me. This board use to be a nice place but now it's starting to get filled with the same old stuff that brought down all the other good boards. Tin boxes and bowling pins. Smell ya later, smell ya later forever!!!

#54 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:00 AM

user posted image

DEAD HORSE ALERT!!

#55 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:18 AM

Phil,

I know they apply, the same thing just gets said over and over.

I'm just having fun! biggrin.gif

People say they got hit by richocets from bowling pins. I would stay away from them too, if it happened to me.

I think it's just a matter of chance. I have seen stranger things happen.

Norm

#56 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:04 PM

See? it's funny how my posts are picked out to comment on.. That's why I was closing this subject Phil.. but Junkyard, if you would read the whole of the threads as you ask people to do of your ads then you would see that it wasn't you who said that .308 would bounce off.. it was Sgt. Fox back on page 2 :

I've also had pins that shrug off .308 like it was airsoft.

Sorry you think I was picking on you , though I was about your attitude, after you call everyone who doesn't agree with you ignorant, and to use common sense.. I tried to speak to you as an adult, and the quotes were there to show what subjects that I was commenting on for clarification.... I see that was a mistake. Hope you don't leave though.. life's too short ....have a beer and settle down.

#57 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:32 PM

I shot bowling pins with an Ithaca Mag 10 "Roadblocker," and the only problem I had was with the manager of the alley who asked me to leave because I wasn't wearing the correct shoes.

#58 junkyard4$

junkyard4$

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:39 PM

Hawkeye_Joe,
Don't worry I won't leave. I have to stick around and give you more s..t. Didn't we have fun. 64 Replies and over 830 looks, isn't that great!! Who would have thought that anyone could talk about a bowling pin this much? After this much publicity you should call AMF and have them sponsor your next shoot. I'll come to but only shoot the paper targets with the picture of a pin on them and on the other end of the range with a bullet proof vest on. I am a little sensitive about stray bullets which is why I got so upset. I have been almost shot several times and it's not fun. One time was at a local gun show where a guy (dealer) wanted to see if this 30-06 shell fit in his gun, well it "accidently" went off and put a hole in the wall about 1 foot above my head. The whole place went silent for about 2 seconds and then it went back to business as usual. Another time I was walking in the field behind my house and the neighbor thought he would blindly fire off a couple shots, I heard them wiz past my head. I deal with a lot of different people every day and am slowly losing fath in the intelligents of the population. Too many computers doing the thinking for them. Too many people that have no common sense. Too many people blaming other people for there problems. The discouraging part is that I am not even 30 years old yet and have to watch America get dumber for the rest of my life. I'll get off my soap box now. I'll be back to read and sometimes post. It was fun, gets the blood moving. By the way, the smell ya later comment was from the Simpsons, one of the greatest tv shows in history.

#59 TNKen

TNKen

• Regular Group
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, machine guns, defensive handgun competition, snow skiing and ski patrol, my children

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

Enough of this crap.

All I want to know is what did you get to shoot at over the weekend??? AND was it fun???

Ken

#60 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:36 PM

Well you coulda just said...

"screw you guys..........I'm going home.."

user posted image