Wh 1928 Rate Of Fire

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cavediver

cavediver

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:All types of full auto weapons, Cannons and hunting.

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:12 PM

Anyone know what the rate of fire is for a WH1928. 550? Also anyone know what an M3 grease gun is worth in 95% condition

#2 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

I think the WH 1928 is around 750 rpm.

The M3 is running around 10-13k. Way more then it's worth. A M3 is around 450 -500 rpm

#3 ODS9091

ODS9091

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

I paid $6400 for mine about 2 years ago..Probably about 80%, but British Proof marks, an extra bolt, several mags, a Ciener suppressor, and a home-made 9mm kit.....Got it from a friend (tax time) and he wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it. Though he could have gotten more for it, apparently the Thompson Greed bug has not cross bred and infected the grease gun market (as far as he is concerned). I did see another Brit marked for sale (http://www.subguns.c...query=retrieval). He started at $14k, now the ad says sold @ $13k...I think a little high even for a Brit marked, but then again It's whatever you are willing to pay, I personally say $8-10K depending on condition,accessories,etc...Maybe a little more if it's an M3A1. (my .02)

#4 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:46 PM

M3's are actually more scarce than Thompsons but M3's do not have the "mass appeal". Supply/demand + Generic Greed ='s > $12K for a decent M3.

#5 ODS9091

ODS9091

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:46 PM

sorry this is the one for $14k
http://www.subguns.c...query=retrieval
Where are all these Brit marked guns coming from? dry.gif

#6 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

Ron,

The "greed" is not just a Thompson or a machine gun thing. More like a "collectibles greed." The current issue of "Muscle Cars" magazine has an article where the author bemoans "muscle car greed", the average Joe car collector can't get any kind of muscle car anymore, even a 70's Chevelle with a small block is beyond affordable, etc.

#7 jim

jim

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Class 2 manufacturer but mostly deal in and do transfers of Class 3 stuff. Benchmark Barrels works under my FFL and manufactures match grade rifle barrels.

Posted 04 July 2004 - 12:37 AM

I'm the guy that had the M3 listed at 13,000. Started at 14,000 no offers. Dropped to 13,000. Had some 11,500 offers and sold it for 12,000. Later that day I had an offer of 12,500, Oh well.
I just got my 10th Thompson(1st Colt though) a week or so ago. It's beautiful piece of old world craftmanship but Grease Guns are more fun to shoot than Tommy guns and can be easily suppressed(I've got two suppressed and two unsuppressed), I love 'em.

#8 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that goes "Boom".

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (jim @ Jul 4 2004, 12:37 AM)
Grease Guns are more fun to shoot than Tommy guns and can be easily suppressed(I've got two suppressed and two unsuppressed), I love 'em.

Well Jim, I have shot my share of GGs and the Thompson is definitely funner IMHO. The GG runs so slow it puts me to sleep. tongue.gif

#9 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3480 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (jim @ Jul 4 2004, 12:37 AM)
I'm the guy that had the M3 listed at 13,000. Started at 14,000 no offers. Dropped to 13,000. Had some 11,500 offers and sold it for 12,000. Later that day I had an offer of 12,500, Oh well.
I just got my 10th Thompson(1st Colt though) a week or so ago. It's beautiful piece of old world craftmanship but Grease Guns are more fun to shoot than Tommy guns and can be easily suppressed(I've got two suppressed and two unsuppressed), I love 'em.

to post on this board you are allowed only one thompson maybe two,so you must share the other's here with other member's.......this is the way and the order of
"the Brotherhood"

i have spoken..........now advertise them at fair prices........ we will share in your burden........

and all who partakes in the feast will rejoice........

if however you wish not to partake in this ritual.........send nick $50.00 to keep this place open..........wink!!

and they told me when i joined i was caaarazy!!!

take care ron/colt21a

#10 jim

jim

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Class 2 manufacturer but mostly deal in and do transfers of Class 3 stuff. Benchmark Barrels works under my FFL and manufactures match grade rifle barrels.

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:12 PM

I know, I know it seems crazy to have this..... user posted image

But enjoy shooting something that looks like this......
user posted image

even more!!!!

#11 jim

jim

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:18 PM

Oh, by the way. I didn't have all those Tommy guns at once, just over the last 5 years or so. 2 pre-sample Savage '28's, 1 fully transferable Savage M1, 6 original uncut post-sample M1A1's(mixed lot of Savage and Auto-Ordnance). The one posted above is the one I'm gonna try and keep.

#12 jim

jim

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:18 AM

Really? They came up when I posted them and again when I refreshed.

#13 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:36 AM

I see 'em and WOW!
Nice looking guns Jim.

#14 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:06 PM

I refreshed and refreshed til I was blue in the face, and never could get the pix to come up...

#15 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:35 PM

They opened for me fine, first time out of the chute.. looks damn fine.. how silent is that M3?

#16 jim

jim

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:01 PM

Pretty darn quiet, most of what is heard is the "clacking" of the bolt when the round is chambered. I think the effectiveness of a suppressor on a M3/M3A1 is due to the massive bolt and slow cyclic rate, not to mention the bolt never hits the back of the reciever. Thanks to that heavy bolt, not much noise escapes from the ejection port. The M3 in the picture is the one I sold, I've got Guide Lamp M3A1's with and without suppressors, I just didn't have a good picture handy to post.

#17 ODS9091

ODS9091

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:39 AM

My M3 w/Ciener suppressor is the same way..all you really hear is the action cycling and then the bullet impacting down range....that heavy bolt, slow rate of fire, and the naturally sub-sonic 230 grain .45...sweet,sweet,sweet biggrin.gif

#18 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 699 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:22 AM

I have checked someof my guns with a timer and found the following ROF's with PMC ammo

1928/21 1022
1928 900
M1A1 824
M3A1 418

#19 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:15 PM

Bob,
Is that figure on the M1A1 with an M1 bolt or the fixed firing pin bolt?

My M1 has what seems to be a fairly high rate of fire. I've shot other guys M1A1s and they seem to run noticeably slower.

#20 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 699 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:59 PM

Fixed. standard bolt.

My AO M1 has the (M1) bolt with the sand cuts and I have not timed that one yet.