I Got My M1!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 atmow

atmow

• Regular Group
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

I picked up my new Savage M1 this week and just need to share...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

It was recently reparked (it had been done before outside of an arsenal, so no loss to me) and the wood is absolutely smooth and beautiful. One question for you RKIs: the serial number, 5828XX, appears smaller than those on other M1s I have seen. From how the parkerizing has taken to the metal, it almost looks like it might have been welded over at some point and re-stamped. Any thoughts on this? Frankly, I'm not too concerned. I got a good deal and the gun is really nice no matter what.

#2 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:27 PM

Nice gun!

Enjoy!

Norm

#3 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

Congratulations!

Rat-tat-tat!

#4 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:20 PM

Alright, dumb question here, but how do you know this is a Savage? It has the AO Bridgeport CT markings.

#5 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:59 PM

That's a real purdy gun! Congrats!

#6 atmow

atmow

• Regular Group
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (philasteen @ Jul 3 2004, 03:20 PM)
Alright,  dumb question  here, but how do you know this is a Savage?  It has the  AO Bridgeport CT markings.

Not a dumb question...I've asked it myself. The inspector marks are one way to tell-this has the FJA and GEG stamps found on Savage-produced guns. Another clue is the small "S" stamped on the underside of the receiver, right in front of the magazine well.

#7 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:04 PM

Alright, dumb question here, but how do you know this is a Savage? It has the AO Bridgeport CT markings.

Frank's book on pages 110-119 explains it pretty well (American Thunder.)

Atmow:

Quick question:

The selector switches appear to be colt. Did the seller say anything about this?

Jr

#8 atmow

atmow

• Regular Group
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (John Jr @ Jul 3 2004, 08:04 PM)
Quick question: The selector switches appear to be colt.  Did the seller say anything about this?

No. I noticed, of course, they are not the pin-type selectors like most M1's have, but I don't know anything beyond that.

#9 USMC-2-USN

USMC-2-USN

• Regular Group
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Machine guns, competitive shooting, blonds with big tatas, NAVY!!

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:09 AM

nice gun!

I have a savage built M1a1 with serial number 5226xx. it appears that the receiver was altered at some point in its life. either someone welded over the "a1" or someone altered the serial number...the only real way would be to x-ray the receiver.

Also, the top is really smooth where it should have rough milling marks, the paddle selectors are from a colt, to be a correct M1 it shouldn't have the ears on the sights and shouldn't have a cross drilled stock.

Looks like a great shooter gun, congrats

Bryan

#10 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for sharing, atmow! biggrin.gif I wish it was mine! rolleyes.gif blink.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#11 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2062 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:54 AM

Nice Gun!

If you want to get those UGLY Non-matching saftety and selector levers swapped to a set of M1 parked levers - I will gladly make that swap with you! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif