28 replies to this topic

#21 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:46 PM

Chris,

If there's anything offensive or vinegar-like in my postings please let me be the first to know.

Arthur,

I'm pretty sure that in 150 years from now, some museum curator will appreciate that I did not refinish my M1928 Thompson.

Regards,

Balder

#22 junkyard4$

junkyard4$

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

For fear of being labeled the smartest guy on the planet again.. *LOL* I'll post about this anyway ..

Hawkeye_Joe, I said in your world, not the planet. laugh.gif
Floridac3, If I were you I would have that gun restored but only by a professional like PK. This is not a kitchen table project. I am the biggest advocate of leave them alone unless they are so far gone that it makes no difference. What you bought there is potential and now you can make it the way you want it without hurting the original finish since there is none.

#23 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply Bill,, I hope you have a great time with it.....finished, unfinished.. hell it's a Thompson and a damn good version of one..Welcome to the Fraternity....Mine's a WH and they get put down too..plus it's about 80% ....so what?.. I'll still have a great time with it... biggrin.gif

#24 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:03 PM

Hey,..FWIW dept....I own a refinished 21ac...and bought it that way...it still turns heads,runs like a scalded dog and cleans up like new...even after 3,000rds.this weekend..no worries just fun. My S-28 is a rewat and my WH 28 is at PKs getting refinished....does all this lessen my fun?...absolutely not!...it is yours...ENJOY IT! wink.gif

#25 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

Now there was a gun that should have been left as is. But if the BC Sheriff department was offered a cool mill for Burke's TSMG and they declined, I hope they never seek tax payer money for new vehicles and equipment.

#26 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:37 PM

Hardrede,
How then was Jack Ruby's gun (the one used to ice Oswald) allowed to be auctioned off? And since nobody was tried for the Valentine shooting, what crime do the feds say this TSMG was used to commit?

#27 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:20 PM

Call PK, have it redone. Pay the price. Its worth it. Nuff said.

#28 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that goes "Boom".

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:26 PM

^ Agreed, a redo is in order.

#29 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2911 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:54 PM

Quick Question: Does the upper and lower serial number match?

It is hard to make a decision based on pictures but this one looks like a refinish may be in order. I would ship it to PK for an estimate of refinish and an expert opinion on if it is currently safe to shoot. If safe to fire, I would shoot the the barrel off it and then have PK install an IMA parts kit and restore it to like new condition. And then shoot it some more biggrin.gif
Congratulations on your purchase.