Nfa Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:US, German Military WWI & WWII weapons, US, German, British sniper rifles. Virginia State Police items.

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:36 PM

Please pardon my questions, but I'm working on my first NFA purchase. Can you folks please tell me if the final completed paperwork on form 4 comes back to the seller (transferor) or the buyer (transferee)? I don't know if it matters but it is a C&R type weapon and I hold a C&R license.

Also, I was looking in Frank's book on the MP 40 and noted that I need a form 5330.20 in addition to the form 4. My dealer gave me the F4 (5320.4) and a set of fingerprint cards. Do I need another form?

Also, the guy I am buying the weapon from recently moved. Does he have to relist the location of the weapon with the ATF at his new address prior to my purchase? I want this to be problem free.

TIA

Snipershot

#2 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Full auto weapons.

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:55 PM

snipershot1944,

F4's are mailed back to the transferor after approval.

You DO need to send in the citizen certification form (5330.20). They are available at danbrews site (www.titleii.com) or IIRC they can be found at ATF's website.

Since the seller's address is where the approved forms get mailed, his or her current address needs to be listed on the form 4 you submit.

HTH

#3 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:US, German Military WWI & WWII weapons, US, German, British sniper rifles. Virginia State Police items.

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

thanks for the reply. one last question. Should the seller's address on the form four match that of his paperwork from the ATF. Asked another way, does he need to let the ATF know of his current address before we send in the form 4? I don't want any problems for him. He moved recently.

sniper

#4 nobra81

nobra81

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's-------- all class 3

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

Are you getting the weapon from a guy in Mississippi? You need the right address because I'm having trouble with a transfer getting back to the transfor myself. They will not forward the form to his current address. So he needs to change his address with the atf and have that address on the form 4 you submit.

#5 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Full auto weapons.

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Jul 7 2004, 04:35 PM)
thanks for the reply. one last question. Should the seller's address on the form four match that of his paperwork from the ATF. Asked another way, does he need to let the ATF know of his current address before we send in the form 4? I don't want any problems for him. He moved recently.

sniper

The address on his form 4 does not have to match his new address which will be the address listed for the transferor on your F4. As far as I know, there is no special form for address change notification. Since he has not previously informed ATF he moved, I would suggest the sellor write a letter informing them of the move and you can include it with all your paperwork. That should be sufficient to avoid any problems.

That said, I've never had to deal with your exact situation. My opinion is based on how I would handle it as a (former) FFL/SOT. If you have some doubt or further concern you could always call NFA branch and ask them, 202-927-8330.

Congrats on your first tax stamp inbound. It only gets worse from here. That is, if you consider NEEDING another stamp eventually worse. laugh.gif

Mark

#6 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:08 PM

Nope, not Miss.

#7 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1020 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:14 PM

I have purchased a couple of SMGs where the owner failed to notify BATF of his change of address. The way I handled it was to list the Seller's (Transferor's) name and current address in block 3a of the form and then in parenthesis and to the right of the current address I entered the old address (as shown on the seller's old form). I have never had a problem. BATF sends the approved form back to the seller at the new address. They use an envelope with a window and fold the form so that the information shown in 3a can be seen by the postman. Hope this helps.

#8 nobra81

nobra81

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's-------- all class 3

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:51 AM

Wish i'd done it that way. I could of avoided a lot of problems. My form 4 is lost, now i have to get a cerified copy.

Steve