#41 timkel

timkel

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 981 posts
  • Interests:NRA Patron member
    Atlas Shrugged

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:23 AM

I am very much among the living. My personal involvemen with Thompsons ended in 1983. I went back to the University of Georgia and earned my B.A. in 1985, followed by the Georgia State Univrsity College of Law, earning my J.D. in December 1987. I clerked for Prof. Alan M. Dershowitz at Harvard Law School in 1987/1988 I am admitted to the Bars of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, as well as many Federal courts. We moved to the Pittsburgh area in 2009 from Boston, to enlarge my practice opportunities. While I continue some activity in Boston, it's winding down because of the distance, and most of my work will be in Pennsylvania now, especially in the Federal courts.While I do have some fond memories of tracking down Thompsons and their history in my 20's, I have received even greater satisfaction in my legal career. Last year, for example, I succeeded in overturning the 1997 murder conviction of an innocent man, Grant v. Lockett, 709 F.3d 224 (3d Cir. 2013).

I married my wife Aileen in 1989, and we have three sons and a daughter. We live in a farmhouse on 13 acres outside of the Pittsburgh suburb of Butler, Pennsylvania. My office is in Butler, but my cases are mostly in Federal court in Pittsburgh, Johnstown and Erie.

Roger A. Cox

Cox & Cox Attorneys

350 Greater Butler Mart

Butler, PA 16001-3284

(724) 256-8531

rogercox @zoominternet.net

Welcome to the forum.

You said "My personal involvemen with Thompsons ended in 1983"

Are you really out? Completely out?.... Once bitten by the Thompson bug, you are hooked for life. There is no cure. You will be back.

#42 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

I am very much among the living. My personal involvemen with Thompsons ended in 1983. I went back to the University of Georgia and earned my B.A. in 1985, followed by the Georgia State Univrsity College of Law, earning my J.D. in December 1987. I clerked for Prof. Alan M. Dershowitz at Harvard Law School in 1987/1988 I am admitted to the Bars of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, as well as many Federal courts. We moved to the Pittsburgh area in 2009 from Boston, to enlarge my practice opportunities. While I continue some activity in Boston, it's winding down because of the distance, and most of my work will be in Pennsylvania now, especially in the Federal courts.While I do have some fond memories of tracking down Thompsons and their history in my 20's, I have received even greater satisfaction in my legal career. Last year, for example, I succeeded in overturning the 1997 murder conviction of an innocent man, Grant v. Lockett, 709 F.3d 224 (3d Cir. 2013).

I married my wife Aileen in 1989, and we have three sons and a daughter. We live in a farmhouse on 13 acres outside of the Pittsburgh suburb of Butler, Pennsylvania. My office is in Butler, but my cases are mostly in Federal court in Pittsburgh, Johnstown and Erie.

Roger A. Cox

Cox & Cox Attorneys

350 Greater Butler Mart

Butler, PA 16001-3284

(724) 256-8531

rogercox @zoominternet.net

Roger,

Great to hear from you on this board.

Edited by Bob, 30 September 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#43 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

Roger glad to hear you chimed in. sill have the pics on the visit in 1975. and the letters and phone call's.and the old J . Curt EARL  Fiasco we handled... now retired myself. and in Arizona.

the group owes you a Big  Thanks.

Helmer is still kickin also. but sad to say around 50% of the others are gone for good. Well  stay safe healthy and for the family the same blessings.

best regards Ron Kovar/ Colt21a,

#44 FrankSPPD

FrankSPPD

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Collecting Magnum handguns from S&W Kitgun to 44 Automag! Trained as Police Armorer and worked across the Globe protecting people who really didn't deserve being protected.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Roger,

glad to hear you are doing well in your personal and professional life.  I owe you a great debt of gratitude for taking the time back in the mid 1970's to share leads with me on collecting machineguns, when I called from my dorm room in central Ohio.  I found the oddest assortment of Thompsons, BARs, German MG's, a Stoner 63a and even some Vietnam bring back MGs.  Almost to a person, everyone I contacted mentioned that you had been in contact with them and how honest they felt you were in dealing with them.  I think I had better timing than you since the economy was in such bad state then, and I was able to close many deals on great items.

I also owe you for warning me about a character located in the suburbs of Chicago.  I did truly have to count my fingers after shaking hands with him, and even though I never completed a deal with him - it did come up during my background check for my first job at the Dept of Justice that he had fingered me as a possible buyer of MG's......no sh*t.  I had the tax stamps to prove it.

Semper Fi,