Photo
- - - - -

A New World Indoor Record For Asking Price!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

Looks like the $15,900 M1 sold within a day!!

#22 Poprivit

Poprivit

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

I'm not trying to sound snide, but if you want a Tommy, you better belly up to the bar and pay the price!
I've been watching the price bitching now for six months, or longer. In that time, the too expensive M1s have increased 20-30%.
Folks, they aren't going to get any cheaper, sorry. I sold my M1 a while back and really regret the sale.
It went for $8k and I thought that was rediculous. Bigger fool me! Tody I'm looking for a replacement for under $12500 and will
have to take out a loan to buy it.
Ps. I also sold a Ferrari Dino just before the old man passed away. It doubled in the next six months. sad.gif

#23 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:29 PM

Poprivit...

Given your market timing skills, PLEASE do not buy a Thompson! I'd hate to think how far the price might drop after you buy one. wink.gif

#24 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:US, German Military WWI & WWII weapons, US, German, British sniper rifles. Virginia State Police items.

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:51 PM

OK, so if a nice M1 will go for $15,900 in a day, what will a nice Savage 28A1 go for, much less a Colt 21A or AC?

Sniper

#25 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1008 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:04 PM

You can't pay too much, just too soon. Look what tube guns and registered sears are fetching. Last year I passed on $3,500.00 Uzi's. Now I Wish I had bought at least one. Two years ago I sold a Westy 28 for a friend. He wanted just over $6,000.00 and I found him a buyer. Now (2 years later) he is mad at me and I got him his asking price.

#26 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:48 PM

For Sale: 1 West Hurley 1928. Low # 58*A, only had a few thousand or so rounds down the barrel. Great condition, can be seen in many Thompson videos and books. No drum or mags with the gun. First $8,000 gets the gun. cool.gif

Sorry,
SOLD wink.gif

#27 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:18 PM

Thompsons: The five figure gun! $XX,XXX!

It will only get worse.

#28 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:31 PM

I'm still kicking myself in the behind for selling a C&R AR18 for $3800 about 3 years ago. That was market then (I threw in a bunch of original accessories). They are more than double that now. They were sleepers for many, many years.

#29 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:36 PM

Savage and AO 28 are pushing 20K now.

This puts an 80% colt in the 30's easy.

Its not getting any better either.

I know of at least 10 guns in the last 30 days that have come off of the market into private collections and they are not for sale at ANY PRICE.

If you dont have one and want one, buy today and pay more than you think its worth. If you have one keep it. Its worth 1000 more every 2 months that goes by...

Jr

#30 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jul 15 2004, 01:26 AM)
It's all very transient by nature.  And the whole thing could go bust, over some surprise legislative curve ball.  It happened in 1986 and it can happen again.  We might be telling ourselves how foolish it was to have sunk all that money in guns that got melted.

Phil... I think you are dead on. I'm fearful that sometime in the future the Feds will prohibit transfers of Title II firearms. I'll be able to keep my Thompson until I die but then its off to the the furnace. And it won't be some semi-legit, democratic vote of Congress that will do it. It will be obscure executive order by a President with his own secret agenda.

#31 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:25 AM

The bottom line is....`it`s just dirty green paper`....it is replaceable.... you can go to work tomorrow and start to replace the money you spent yesterday...hopefully on a thompson...you can`t readily replace a thompson or a BAR or a beltfed etc...sometimes this is a hard lesson...just from alot I have learned here,one thing is clear to me..I never,ever sold an NFA,and don`t plan to... wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

#32 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:45 AM

This gun isn't a Thompson, but what do you think about a $30k C&R BAR?

http://www.subguns.c...query=retrieval

BARs are neat guns but I'd much rather have a Thompson. All of a sudden, $16k for a M1 doesn't seem so crazy.

#33 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:48 AM

Also, probably not a bad price for a NIB Westie...

http://www.sturmgewe....cgi?read=47088

#34 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Lafayette Gregory @ Jul 14 2004, 04:02 PM)
wink.gif Maybe a way to get the prices in control are in our hands? Someone mentioned boycott. Well thats fine but as someone else said there will always be a guy with plenty of money and no brains. Why not every Thompson owner make a posting for a reasonable price for their gun. Just maybe your wife gets to buy it first and it may be sold fast. At least you will be controling the asking price if not the selling price. OH, by the way don't tell your wife about this as she might take you seriously. tongue.gif

Welcome to the corporate world of price fixing...... Ah the Enron/Thompson Greedâ„¢ connection! ROTFLMAO

#35 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1008 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

Z3BigDaddy: After years of wondering what ROTFLMAO meant I finally figured it out thanks to your smiley face rolling on the floor laughing HAO! Am I slow or what? blink.gif

#36 TNKen

TNKen

• Regular Group
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, machine guns, defensive handgun competition, snow skiing and ski patrol, my children

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:26 PM

And the $42,000 MG-42!!!!! And the $82,500 Stoner.

#37 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:29 PM

Hawksnest, don't feel bad. blink.gif I didn't know what it meant either, until observing how it was used on this board too. smile.gif There are still some computer acronyms/abbreviations which baffle me. unsure.gif I wish there was a dictionary for such things. There probably is somewhere out there in cyberspace! cool.gif Regards, Walter

#38 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

Walter, et al.,

www.acronymfinder.com has about everything

#39 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:54 PM

I know what you mean, Phil.

Basically, the only time I sold (actually usually traded) MG's is when I wanted to upgrade or get into a more expensive gun or if the gun didn't do it for me anymore. Crappy MP5 conversion or '21 Thompson? Hmmmm.....???? unsure.gif

#40 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:07 PM

Thanks SecondAmend! smile.gif That is a good resource. blink.gif biggrin.gif Regards, Walter