Canvas Case

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:17 AM

I picked up some wonderful information regarding cleaning rods, on the Replicas, Fakes, Fraud thread.

Anyone care to comment what the "correct" period piece cleaning rod for a Canvas gun case would be and it's differences if any from any WWII brass examples.

Photos would be dearly appreciated.

thanks
michael

#2 The Moor

The Moor

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

Sig,
In Cox's book, and you have probably already seen this, he states that the WWII brass rods are indistinguishable from the earlier short brass rods made by Colt. I have two or three of these short brass rods but only one was touted as being from the 1920s. I can find no significant difference between it and the later rods although there are some very slight dimensional differences in the tip of the rods.
The short brass rod in my canvas case does not extend all the way to the end of the rod pocket. The long brass rod is too long. However, if you attach a bristle bore brush to the short brass rod, (bristle bore brush from a WWII M1911 pistol cleaning kit), the rod and brush fill the rod pocket perfectly and the rod loop is positioned perfectly for the snap.
I believe that either way (with or without the brush) the short all brass rod would be correct for most of the canvas carrying cases. I think there is a very early version of the canvas case that uses the long brass cleaning rod secured in a diagonally positioned rod pouch on the case.

If someone ordered a Thompson and a canvas carrying case from Auto Ordnance in the 1920s or 1930s do you think that they would have packaged/shipped the brass rod and gun inside the canvas case or the gun, rod and canvas case separately? If they would have shipped the gun and rod inside the canvas case, where would the handbook have been placed?
Something to think about.

#3 leid

leid

• Regular Group
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Military history, hunting, NFAs.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:58 PM

Moor,
Please post dimensions or a picture, if possible, of your short Colt rod.
THANKS
Carey

#4 The Moor

The Moor

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:55 AM

Carey,
I am not able to post pictures at the present time. I hope to be able to do this in the near future. Just haven't had the time to learn (or be taught) how to do this.

The rod that I have, that was touted to be from the 1920s, came in an original canvas carrying case. I have no way of knowing if Colt made the rod. It has a different taper on the "tapered part" of the tip. I have one WWII rod with the same taper but the straight part, just before the taper, is shorter on the supposed 1920s rod.

If I get a chance I will try to take some measurements.