Jump to content

- - - - -

Form 5320.20

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Poprivit


    Long Time Member

  • Regular Group
  • 122 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:31 PM

I plan on taking some of my Class III weapons out of state for purposes of teaching and instruction in their operation. I'm going to have to take them through a non-class III ownership state or two, and hearin lies the questions.
1. How long has it taken you to get a 5320.20 form signed and returned?
2. I'm fairly sure it's leagal to transport a Class III weapon through a non-Class III state into a Class III
state as long as it's locked and not opened. But, does anyone have actual experience with law enforcement
actions in a state like California?
I will be driving from Nevada, through Calif. to Oregon on one of my trips, and really don't want to try to teach law to a CHP while standing on the side of the road.
Anyone have any actual experience, or comments? dry.gif
  • 0

#2 ODS9091


    Long Time Member

  • Regular Group
  • 249 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ALABAMA

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:36 PM

No actual experience..but if you have a C&R lisence and the firearms are C&R..you do not need a 5320.20
as long as,as you stated, the firearms are legal at the origination point and legal at the destination point.
  • 0

#3 Chopper28


    Long Time RKI Member

  • Board Benefactor
  • 751 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:All Class three stuff, ammo and black powder cannons

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:50 PM

I usually get the signed copy back in approx 6 weeks. Have never been questioned by anyone concerning paperwork in over 25 years of shooting full auto stuff. Just lucky I guess. But as long as you are legitimate you don't have anything to worry about. My.02
  • 0

#4 catnipman


    Regular Member

  • Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hygiene, Colorado
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:05 PM

Also, the BATFE recommends that you carry a photocopy of your Form 4 whenever you transport interstate. Actually, it's a good idea to have a photocopy every time you take the gun out of your house. I think I'd carry a copy of my C&R too if I was going to transport interstate.
  • 0

#5 full auto 45

full auto 45

    Respected Member

  • Board Benefactor
  • 5005 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Looking over your shoulder right now
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 23 July 2004 - 06:32 AM

I keep a copy of the form 4's in the buttstocks rolled up and inside a canvas M1 Garand cleaning bag. It fits pretty nice. Then I keep a copy of the C&R and both form 4's in the glovebox of the truck. That way if your diving, and get pulled over and the officer sees it or them, you don't have to get into the guns, cops don't like that, to get your paper work. On the 5320.20 if you haven't got it back in time, call the ATF and talk to the person doing yours, and they can fax you a copy. They did it for me for the last TCA show. But as luck would have it, the form came in the mail the day I was leaving, so I had both.
  • 0

#6 OldFalGuy


    Long Time RKI Member

  • Regular Group
  • 738 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central Texas
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:12 AM

6 weeks is pretty lame but a fact of life. I need to get mine in too. I wish I could include the serial number of one I have coming and should be herer before I leave but I guess that might not be possible?? Do they check and see what your taking? Actually they should only care if the destination state is NFA friendly or not. not what you were taking- go figure.

  • 0

#7 Tman


    Respected Member

  • Board Benefactor
  • 521 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:23 AM

You might try this. Call your friendly examiner and inquire if you can fax your form to them for approval. I have done it a couple of times on a short notice deal and they were accomodating. It's worth a try.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments posted on this subject. Always keep a copy of your F4 with your gun. I shrunk mine and laminated it. It's swell. Still readable but I can put it in my pocket and go.

  • 0