4 Sale New Gi Breech Oilers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

OK, I compaered the SG oilers to two originals.

Metal thickness is the same. Metal dims are real close except the SG iten has the buffer pilot hole different diameter, and slightly repostioned.

felt is smaller on SG item.

SG item steel is painted, not blued.

Crimp marks for felt are machine made on original, SG looks partially hand crimped.

Felt is too far back on some of the SG items, riding over the external rear felt tab. This can cause binding problems, but is easily trimmed. Bend dimensions were identical on the two.

Conclusion, SG item is repro. Possibly old repro, for TSMGs in Indian military service, but it is not made on the same tooling the two originals I used for comparison were. It should work fine if the felt is trimmed.

Question is: Are the Sarco repops any better or different, or were they made in teh same place?

Doug

#22 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2201 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:06 PM

Cancelled my backorder for two of these. . .

#23 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:Class III stuff and Harleys

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

Also cancelled my back order. The guns are just to expensive to cut corners using cheap after market parts IMHO.

#24 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1031 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:21 PM

Chopper and TSMGguy: I also sent mine back. The metal did not have the "spring" tension of the original oiler I compared it to and I didn't want to chance anything "going wrong" when the bolt was slamming back and forth in full auto fire. Also, it didn't seem to me that much of the SG oiler was in contact with the bolt and blish lock as was the original I compared it with. Why take a chance on damaging an irreplacable Thompson?

#25 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

Going to dump both of mine also, went ahead and got a parts kit that had one in it. Since it is a wear item I would like to find another someday, perhaps at the next SAR or KCR.

#26 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:Class III stuff and Harleys

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:56 PM

Check with Phil Askew I bet he has some originals.

#27 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:32 PM

I really don't like Sportsmansguide. When I ordered some of the oilers, I also ordered one of the extractor/firingpin parts sets to help cover part of their outrageous shipping charges.

Well, they shipped me the parts set and charged me the full shipping charges as if the full order had been shipped. I called and complained, and all they would do is refund me $3.00, saying that would bring the shipping charges to what they would have been for the parts kit. So, why did they try to rip me off in the first place by overcharging me for the full shipping costs?

BTW, they sent me a postcard today saying the oiler part of the order was permanently cancelled, saving me the trouble of cancelling it myself.

#28 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:33 AM

Yeah I got one of those cancellation notices today too. I'm glad I didn't try to make that POS work.

#29 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:39 PM

They sent me a cancel thingy too.

They have excellent ammo prices that are hard to beat.

They have online discounts too.

I am not the biggest fan of them either, but when you can buy 45ACP Wolf shipped to your door for under 11 cents per shot and 223 wolf for less than 10 cents per shot, you have to consider them.

BTW that new advanced polymer coated stuff works great!

Jr

#30 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:18 PM

I wouldn't call it a POS at all. It is just not original.

I tried the spring thingy, and the SG parts have ecxcellent spring, so much that it is hard to bend one to spread the fingers out a tad further. The felt just needs to be trimmed on some. I have no problme putting them in my guns, once I spread teh finger s a tad, and trim teh felt at teh rear.

Doug