M1a1 Help

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 bigred

bigred

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Civil War and WWII Reenacting, All areas of History, Computers, Firearms.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:46 PM

Hey guys,
I figured I'd add my 2 cents while we're discussing the topic. I too am a WWII Reenactor - 2nd Rgr, 45th ID, 101st AB, 82nd AB. I went with the sbr route and have no regrets.
I would suggest spending a good deal of time considering what you want to do before actually buying anything yet. You don't want to spend six to seven hundred bucks on something only to change your mind and wish you had done something else.

I'm not going to tell you what you should do since I don't know your situation, but I'll give you the reasons why I chose what I chose. We all would love to own full auto thompsons, however we can't all afford them sadly. I wanted a Thompson for reenacting and looked at buying one of the MGC blank guns, but I hated the thought of paying that much on a gun that wouldn't even shoot. (with the cost of a non-firing thompson you can easily get a garand or a carbine, or lots of reenacting gear). I wanted something that I could fire both live rounds and blanks. Real blanks firing from a semi auto thompson are much louder than the blanks from those blank guns. I realized that I could be blasting away full auto with the blank gun, but it wouldn't be worth a darn thing if they couldn't hear me.
Also, with all the abuse, wear, and tear that are endured by our equipment and weapons, I didn't want 1) a weak blank gun that could break or 2) an expensive full auto investment that I'd be taking out in the mud and rain and muck.

At first, I wanted to get the 1927 version to make an SA 1928 since I could use it for more impressions like early war and Pacific. Once I found out how much it'd cost for the additional changes to get the 1927 to 1928 specs I resolved to go with the T-M1 version.

With all that in mind, I went through an excellent gunsmith, Paul Krough, who most of us here on this board work through, and I had him buy my thompson and get it fixed up ready to go.
The initial cost of the SA thompson was about $775. Once he got the thompson, he sent me the serial number and I sent in the Form1, citizenship form, and fingerprint cards and $200 to the BATF for registration of a future sbr. Waited about 4-5 months until I got the forms back, sent PK the forms along with $400 (all I could afford to put into it) for gunsmithing and changes. He replaced the 16"bbl for the 10.5"bbl, tapped the barrel to fire both blanks or live rounds( basically you use screw or unscrew the BFA out of the bore of the barrel), modified the mag catch to use FA mags, and checked for overall reliability and dependability. So for $1,400 I have a SA Thompson that I can take to any Reenacting event and also I can take it shooting when I want.
I couldn't be happier with it. I've fired it several times and taken it to several LH events. Eventually, someday when I have more money I'll get it modified more to spec -> fullauto/semiauto selector switch etc, and maybe a long way down the line when I'm making $100,000 a year I'll get to buy a FA thompson.

Just be sure you live in a state that allows ownership of a SBR. Also, for out of state reenactments you just have to send in a form to get permission to take the gun into that state. You'll need to send that into the government at least 1 and 1/2 months before the event you're taking it too. Besides that, there's nothing to it. Most Thompsons in WW2 reenacting are Semi Auto Blank adapted Thompsons just like what I own. Also, I would suggest not going the SBR route directly from auto ordinance as you will save more money buying the T-M1 w/ 16'bbl, paying the $200, and having PK do everything for you. If you buy the already made SBR, you will still have to send the thing into a gunsmith to blank adapt it, change the mag catch, and correct any factory mistakes there may be. I woud suggest just dealing with Paul directly instead of trying to buy the preexisting SBR that auto-ordinance sells.

But like I said, Think long and hard on what you want to do before you actually buy anything, or you might regret it.

#22 younghistorians

younghistorians

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:58 PM

Two questions:

How can I contact Paul? Website? Email?

-and-

Who made the Thompson you purchased?

Thanks

#23 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (younghistorians @ Jul 25 2004, 04:55 PM)

A) Find a live one, purchase it, and use it for show only (not in tactical events, because they arnt allowed).

Where are you re-enacting that full autos are not allowed? We use many FAs here in the midwest at re-enactments.
It is just a matter of blank adapting the barrel (You can still fire live with the BFA removed) and filling out the proper ATFE forms to transport it to the event (requiered if you do not have an FFL)

#24 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:56 PM

I don't think Paul K has a web page, but his email is pk@(no spam)gwe.net

Take out (no spam) before mailing.

#25 younghistorians

younghistorians

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (PATHFINDER @ Jul 29 2004, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (younghistorians @ Jul 25 2004, 04:55 PM)

A) Find a live one, purchase it, and use it for show only (not in tactical events, because they arnt allowed).

Where are you re-enacting that full autos are not allowed? We use many FAs here in the midwest at re-enactments.
It is just a matter of blank adapting the barrel (You can still fire live with the BFA removed) and filling out the proper ATFE forms to transport it to the event (requiered if you do not have an FFL)

I'm in PA, and as far as I know full auto is allowed. In the comment you quoted I was referring to the fact that live rounds are not allowed in most events. Like you said, I would have to get an adapter.

However I think the full auto route is out (no pun intended) because it would cost too much for my budget.

Vaughn