• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Bob B

Bob B

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:39 PM

If a spent shell casing were jammed in the compensator it could certainly result in the failure seen in the photos. However, I don't SEE what looks like a shell casing or even part of one, all I see is some metal other than lead that I took to be the bullet jacket. It DOES look "brassy" in the pictures though. Maybe Sgt. Fox could best answer the question of what metal it is and how thick. That ought to tell us something.

Edit: I DO see in the rear-view photo what looks to be the rim of a shell casing. Pretty unmistakeable now that I'm looking at it. Guess the only mystery now is how it got into the compensator or chamber.

Edited by Bob B, 07 August 2004 - 03:45 PM.

#22 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

Not sure, but based on the pictures it appears to be the newer compensator. These compensators do not open as much as the older ones.

I guess you could say the original compensators are more hollow than the newer repro compensators. The repros are not much wider than the barrel opening. Basically I wonder if these repro compensators may have in one way or another attributed to the problem whether it be a looser fit or narrow opening slowly shaving the jacket off creating a smaller opening.

#23 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:25 PM

Sgt. Fox,

On a different subject, I love your web-site.

The photos are great wink.gif

Norm

#24 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2086 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:57 AM

I have to admit when I was a kid... My brother took a hershey bar and used the heat of a shotgun barrel to cut little circles out of the candy bar. Yes, it was my brother, not me.
Neither of us was smart enough to give a care about the little piece of chocolate bar that fell into the barrel.
A little later when the poor owner shot it, and it opened up like a banana being peeled. I didn't even make the connection until about 10 years later - what we (he!) had atually done.

The point of the story - Kids will put a shell case in the comp when you are not looking. Not pointing blame - just a possible answer.

#25 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:56 PM

I want to get my guess into the pool... I'm thinking when the case is pulled out you will find a .40 S&W headstamp on it... Either mixed in with .45 rounds or someone stuck in the comp at some point dinking around..... I once rolled a 38 calibre ball down the barrel of my dad's black powder gun.... Rolled right down and got stuck... It would have been nice if I had told him "before" we went to the range... He didn't have a screw at that time, so we had to use the cap to move it a bit then removed the nipple put as much powder as we could, fire and repeat... What a mess, and not a happy father at that point....

#26 Ltcboy

Ltcboy

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:39 PM

The point of the story - Kids will put a shell case in the comp when you are not looking. Not pointing blame - just a possible answer.

Shouldn't the point be that all firearms are supposed to be locked up in a safe place?

MIke blink.gif

#27 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:09 PM

If the/an entire casing is inside the comp then some outside force put it there.. either god in his infinite wisdom let one fly into your case and wiggle down later into the comp ( you do clean after shooting don't you? That would dispell this scenerio a bit) Or someone (child, village idiot, etc.) thought that the comp looked like a nice place to put a spent shell....

I have an AR-15 that I had to rebarrel when I found a bulge in it after seeing the accuracy fall off suddenly...it had been sitting in a corner and maybe an insect (wasp/spider/muddauber, something) thought it would be a good place to build a nest. Luckily it only bulged......it was between the flashhider and the front sight assembly.

#28 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:50 PM

Out here in the rural west it is not uncommon to leave ones rifle in the pick up truck for extended periods of time, especially if you are a farmer. We have an insect called a “leaf cutter bee” that cuts pieces off leaves and finds a hole and lays and egg and covers the hole with the leaf. I have had to unclog rifles with barrels full of these nests, one on top of another, from the bolt face to the muzzle.

Oh Boy!

#29 Sgt. Fox

Sgt. Fox

• Regular Group
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Firearms and Disneyland. But not Firearms in Disneyland. That would be bad.<br><br>Oh, and I'm a lawyer, but you can still like me. Just don't tell your friends.

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:47 AM

^ That's creepy. Next thing you know, they'll learn to fire them too, then we'll be in REAL trouble. wink.gif

#30 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:57 PM

Well looks like the old trick of putting a condom over the muzzle might be something to start remembering again... wink.gif

#31 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:30 AM

Without further information and inspection by PK I think Lancer is ahead of the game with the most reasonable explanation. Sorry thing to happen to anyone and I am so glad no one was hurt. WIll admit I do not run a rod through any of my guns prior to firing-
Note to self-pull head out of anus.
Lesson learned and recorded.

Thanks to all

Mark