• 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:34 AM

http://www.project-x...rmsdump018.html

#2 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:55 AM

Yes, even Thompson's are mortal! ohmy.gif blink.gif sad.gif cool.gif

#3 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

Those pictures seem to pop up every few months or so. Very sad waste of hardware.

IIRC, they were dumped somewhere in Pacific Asia after a war (WW2, Korea?).

Chris

#4 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:11 PM

We keep seeing these photos on this site -

#5 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

Yes, a few months back these photos were traced to a Polish language web site and were verified as a post war dump of weapons in Poland. Russia had fobed off all non-Russian/lend lease stuff to satalite soviet countries. These were dumped when Russia produced enough AK/SKS to make them obsolete.
Or so the story goes.

#6 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (DC Chris @ Aug 8 2004, 01:05 PM)
Those pictures seem to pop up every few months or so.

True and it hurts everytime I see it.

#7 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4627 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:11 PM

And I could own alot more of them.

#8 TactAdv

TactAdv

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:02 PM

....these pictures were taken in 1979 in "Saigon", nee Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam. They are NOT in 'Poland' post-WW II, as if you look through the range of images there are many, many modern era weapons in the dump including M60's, M134's(GE 'Miniguns'), etc.
The depot is a Viet Nam military weapons facility just outside H-C-M City that had amassed thousands of weapons, almost all-nonindiginous, that they no longer could support or feed. Virtaully all are either ex-USA or French origin, no surprises there.
-TomH

#9 ftc3906

ftc3906

• Regular Group
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:23 PM

Later sold to IMA for scrap at $50.00 each in order to generate hard currency. Now sold by IMA to U.S. Thompson aficionados as spare parts sets at $1,014.00 each.

http://www.ima-usa.c...products_id/817

#10 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3637 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (TactAdv @ Aug 12 2004, 02:02 PM)
....these pictures were taken in 1979 in "Saigon", nee Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam. They are NOT in 'Poland' post-WW II, as if you look through the range of images there are many, many modern era weapons in the dump including M60's, M134's(GE 'Miniguns'), etc.
The depot is a Viet Nam military weapons facility just outside H-C-M City that had amassed thousands of weapons, almost all-nonindiginous, that they no longer could support or feed. Virtaully all are either ex-USA or French origin, no surprises there.
-TomH

yep 100% correct.i had the list faxed to me years ago to buy this stuff from some broker.........the list almost used up my entire fax machine roll when it came through!!

what a waste of time.the prices were dirt cheap.however at the time you could not get anything in.

and they wanted to know if i wanted to buy m-60 tank's rusted and used??and chopper's w/o the motor's...i guess they converted the engines to slick running sam-pam's.......

when i got to the thompson and colt and rem.rand .45 list that was sad.........and they still had some packed in grease in crate's.and metal drum's.........{L.t.s.}

they had over 7,000 thompson's.....and over 14,000 45 pistol's....this was around 1993.today probably all junk...or spread around the planet...........i heard some m-16's turn up in south africa.haiti.and afghanistan.......go figure...........

however sad. take care,ron