Tsmg Mag Box

Attached is a picture of my TSMG mag box. Holds 20 30-rd mags. I've "built" a similar box for 25-rd Uzi mags using a standard 50 cal ammo box. Pretty cool, huh?

http://thompson.gotdns.com/kyle/tsmg box.jpg

I like it!!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Not bad, not bad at alll! Think I'm going to have to make me one.

I cut up a standard weight U-haul box. This cardboard is about 3/16" thick. You can use anything as long as the cardboard is abou this same thickness.

The fuse box is from Cheaper Than Dirt. It's basic dimensions are 5-1/2" x 11". Using a carpenter's square really makes this process a lot easier. I used a utility knife to cut the cardboard

1) Cut 2 pieces 5-1/2" by 11". Mark a 2" border around one piece and cut out the center "window". Thgis piece goes on the botom of the can and the other piece goes on top of this. This gives us a flat "floor".

2) Cut 2 pieces 5-1/2" by 7". These form the end pieces of the liner.

3) Cut 4 pieces 10-1/2" by 7". These are the sides of the liner, which is double thickness.

The basic grid is 10" by 5". To get the grid to fit snuggly inside the liner, we have to make the liner double thick.

4) Cut 2 pieces 5" by 7". The are the second-layer of the ends and this finishes the liner.

5) Cut 3 pieces 10" by 7". Along the 10" side, make marks at 2", 4", 6, and 8". Then make marks 1/8" either side of the marks. Do the same thing along a line drawn halfway (3-1/2") up the 7" side. Connect the marks and then cut out the "slots". If you go to the following link, I have step by step pictures that show how I built a grid to hold Uzi mags. Once you see the pictures, the strategy will be obvious.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.p...=&threadid=6656

6) Next cut 4 pieces 5" x 7". Along the 5" side, make marks at the following intervals: 1-1/4", 2-1/2", and 3-3/4". Again you'll make marks 1/8" on either side of these centerline marks. Repeat the process along a line drawn 3-1/2" (halfway) up the 7" side. Cutout these slots.

7) Finally all you do is interconnect the pieces forming the grid.

I can put these together in about 1-1/2 hours now. The grid are pretty sturdy and won't scratch your mags. Agian, I encourage you to vist the Uzi site to see more pics. Good luck!

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.p...=&threadid=6656

Kyle,

Simple, useful and down right elegant!

I love the idea. Went over to your Uzi link and that photo is beautiful.

All lined up, ready to go.

Thanks for the tip,

Zamm

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I was making one of these mag storage boxes and I figured I'd bump the thread for anyone that hadn't seen it. Over on UZI Talk I dubbed these "kyle boxes" after their designer. I have a few for my UZI mags and Grease Gun mags. Now that I'm getting started on this Thompson habit I needed a new box. Thanks again for the idea Kyle.

I just received 6 of the new 30 round mags from Tapco and they look great. All Crosby marked. I won't have my gun for a while so I can't try them out. Are people satisfied with these mags? For $9 each I need to fill up my kyle box.

Dave,

Very good to see you on the board! I knew the Thompson affliction would catch up to you sometime. Now you have a TSMG on the way, and it just progresses further from there...

For those of you who do not know Dave, he owns Uzitalk.com, and is the most knowledgeable Uzi historian you will ever meet.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks for the welcome David. Your passion for the Thompson is certainly the single biggest factor in this new interest of mine. I have to say that I'm more anxious for this transfer than I have been in a while. In the mean time I'm buying books and accessories.

Are the 30 round stick mags the normal workhorse for the Thompson?

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ May 19 2007, 07:26 PM)
Welcome to the board, RoverDave.  It's perfectly fine to have both an Uzi and a Thompson, as long as you don't exclude just about every other kind of fun gun, also.  http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I don't exclude any firearm. Too much fun stuff out there. We had some of everything at the recent UZI Talk shoot - including a couple of Thompsons and that was the last straw. Shooting them pushed me over the edge.

Edited by RoverDave

Dave,

From my observations, the 30-round (XXX) mags are probably the most commonly used and plentiful mags for the Thompson. A lot of folks shoot L-drums whenever possible, partly for the extra 20 rounds, and partly for the appeal. In my M1, I tend to shoot 20 rounders (XX), and XXX mags equally. I particularly like the balanced look of the shorter box magazine in the gun.

David

I was wondering about the handling and looks of the XX mags. I guess I'll know better on that when I get the gun. Based on past experience with fluctuating mag prices and availability I figured I should jump on those $9 XXX mags while I had the chance. You can fill up a kyle box and have 600 rounds ready to go before you get to the range.

TAPCO's got new Crosby Co. XXX mags, and they are nice. These are the ones advertised at $9.

The $6 mags that I've gotten are A-O and Seymour, and range in condition from worn but serviceable to dented junk. I had to return two of these.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a second batch of $9 XXX mags from TAPCO. I hate to have a partially filled kyle box. All of the mags I ordered from them were Crosby mags except for one Seymour mag. The Seymour mag certainly has much nicer bluing than the Crosby mags. The first batch of mags I ordered were pretty much ready to shoot. The second batch was heavily coated with grease. The Seymour mag in particular was nearly packed full of grease.

All the mags look new and appear to be in working order with the exception of one Crosby. The bottom of the follower was flared out a bit on that one and rubbed pretty hard against the mag body. I doubt it would have fed properly. A little tweak in the vise and it's now 100%. Now if I can just get an approved form 4 I'll be able to use these mags!

Here's my box of happiness:

http://www.uzitalk.com/roverdave/magbox.jpg