• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob B

Bob B

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:46 PM

While researching photos of finned barrels from which to model a dummy short barrel for my '27A1, I came across these pictures depicting a Colt 1921 (offered for $29,500, no less). The barrel on this piece intrigues me, since there are only 24 ribs (including the wider end-ring that abuts the receiver) instead of the 29 or so on other '21/'28 barrels. The serial number is in the 14000 range so this gun wasn't a prototype. Is this some aftermarket adaptation, an incorrect replacement, or a really rare barrel? What gives?

Photos at:
http://www.hallowell...bmachinegun.htm

Gun description at:
http://www.hallowell...m/class_iii.htm

Also, the closeup photos seem to show the gun's markings as having rounded line-bottoms (this is particularly visible on the photo titled "Left rear markings", where even the line-ends appear rounded as from a rotating cutter). I would think this sort of engraving profile is more characteristic of machine engraving than the sharp line-bottoms and square corners typical of production roll or die stamping. I can easily see how very early models might have been engraved one-up on a machine, but were they still actually machine-engraving production guns of this serial range? If so, that's a helluva lot of one-up engraving. And here I thought MY carpal tunnel syndrome was bad!

Bob

#2 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:53 AM

Well,

without a lot of research to see who made what barrels, a couple things stand out:

1) The fin under the foregrip raised up thingy barrel support does not match exactly to a fin, and

2) the fins are too wide.

My quicky conclusion is somebody turned up a barrel out on an M1A1 barrel and used a parting tool to make fins in it.

Not original, rare, or noteworthy at all, except heh gun is worth SEVERAL thousand $$ less with this barrel.

Doug

#3 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:06 AM

That picture was discussed several months ago. It is not an original barrel. I think Doug has it right, someone made a finned barrel from a smooth barrel. Bob,, you have a good eye, there are not the correct number of fins.

#4 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:45 AM

It's hard to believe that gun is still listed for sale at the same price it was a year ago. What does the seller say when perspective buyers inquire about the funky barrel? You don't have to count the fins to see the problem; at a glance, the fins don't extend to the end of the vertical grip. Maybe the way things are going, if the seller sticks to the current $29.5K figure, in another 2 or 3 years, the price will be right.

#5 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

If recent memory serves,...Devine bragged about getting 22K for a 21 dewat...so another year or two and the price will be in the neighborhood...not where I want to live! wink.gif