• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce L

Bruce L

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 06:25 PM

Just got through re-reading the part of "The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar" where they shot the car up in Tenafly, NJ with incendiary ammo and was wondering if anyone had tried this. Found some @ Hi-Vel, Inc. for $2.00 per round. At that price, better make a big fire!

#2 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 31 August 2003 - 07:29 AM

Would incendiary be the same as tracer? I'd think 50 tracers into a fuel tank would do the trick. I paid $35/50 rnds at Knob Creek, for tracers that is.

#3 Bruce L

Bruce L

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:42 AM

Chris,

Hi-Vel has tracer, incendiary and a tracer-incendiary combo for sale.

#4 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 01:30 PM

For whatever reason, fuel tanks are pretty hard to light off (just ask the guys at NBC who had to put model rocket engines on the GM side gas tanks before the tanks would burn to show how "dangerous" the GM design was for the TV audience). Plain ammo virtually never works. Even tracers do not usually set off a gas tanks. The incendary rounds or combo rounds should work.

Good luck and be careful!

#5 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 01 September 2003 - 06:23 PM

Tracers and incindiarys are definately not the same things although tracers sometimes do start fires, incindiarys are designed for the purpose, they burn hotter than the tracers.

BB

#6 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4538 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 01 September 2003 - 08:51 PM

I was talking with some people the other day, that set a hillside on fire with tracers. Took a couple of fire departments to put it out. OOOps! But they were shooting 50 cals. Not Thompson's. Too much dry underbrush.

#7 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2053 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 02 September 2003 - 10:33 AM

As I recall, tracers use a bit of magnesium to stay illuminated while the bullet is in flight. The incendaries will combust upon inpact, not during flight. I do believe these are difficult if not illegal in some states.... check it out!

#8 StoryforU

StoryforU

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 07:03 PM

For all you kids in the Peanut Gallery that absolutely MUST try this stunt at home,

HV-0583 .45 ACP $21.95 / PKG. OF 10

http://www.hi-vel.co...ammunition.html

SHAZAAM, that's an expensive fireworks display!