4 replies to this topic

#1 Deputy 89C6

Deputy 89C6

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:30 PM

Hey everybody,

I realize that this is a little off topic, but tonight that served to remind me just why we are fighing this war.

First, my son phoned and informed me that he was probably not going to get to come home this weekend as two boneheads managed to bring trouble down on the entire company, so they will likely have to stay at Fort Benning all weekend standing formations as punishment. At first, I found myself cussing the Army and the sergeants that had just ruined my family's weekend plans. I then listened to Rudy Guiliani's speech at the RNC. It brought me back to reality.

Though I don't think any of us ever really forget 9/11 it is no longer a part of the average American's dailey life. Even with a son who volunteered for duty with the US Army Rangers I addmitedly don't always remember just why he is where he's at today...just the inconvience of it. That reason is that we were attacked and he felt obligated to defend his country.

In reality, life has resumed its normal tenor for most of us. Sure, gas might have hit two bucks a gallon, and we might have headaches at the airport, but beyond that life has really not changed much for any of us. I went back to my computer archives, and dug up this two year old web page. It takes a while to load, but it's really a tremendous reminder of just how horrible things were that day, and really how lucky we have been to have our lives remain basically unchanged. If you've already seen it, it's worth watching again.

Steve

http://home.comcast.net/~sept11/

#2 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:11 AM

Deputy--
I think many of us here remember that it didn't take much to invoke military mass punishment. I know it stinks, but it seems to be a tradition in the service. Unfortunately, there were always a couple that screwed it up for the rest of us. I think the military logic is that peer pressure will correct the bad apples, at least that was the way it was explained to me, during my NCO experience.

You're right, life does go on, despite the horrible tragedy of 911. It did pull together the spirit of a lot of people, not least of whom, those who enlisted from a sense of duty. Know that your son's devotion is much appreciated!!

#3 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:10 AM

Deputy, that video made me mad as hell all over again. mad.gif Thank-you for the reminder! smile.gif It brings to mind some of what John McCain and Rudy Giuliani said on Monday. I believe it was McCain who said, "God will judge them (the stinking terrorists), it is the job of our military to arrange the meeting!" laugh.gif Your son, and all who are currently on duty defending freedom, deserve our respect, praise and thanks. cool.gif Regards, Walter

#4 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 12 September 2004 - 04:46 AM

Deputy 89C6, thanks for the reminder! smile.gif Let us never forget!! sad.gif mad.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#5 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:31 AM

Very good website.
So if the rest of the liberals of this world had their way.
We would stand down and just wait for another attack and watch the Muslims celebrate again.
Sadam would still be in power to do as he pleased, killing his own countryman, giving safe harbor to terrorists, and whether we found anything or not continue to explore development of WMD. Oh and let's see it is OK now for North Korea and Iran to have Nuclear weapons because we trust them as we would have Sadam to not do anything BAD with any of this stuff.

Since then train attacks in Europe and other attacks in Russia.

Get real, when is the world going to wake up from this stupid idea that they want peace?

It is not going to stop. All we can do is make it EXTREMELY difficult for them and hit them at home hard.