• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:56 PM

It was made by United Specialties and had the block U at the bottom of both the front and back slide, but the other slide markings appear to be identical to the Colt drums, including the comma after N.Y. on the back slide and no drain slots.
TSMG28

Just to avoid further confusion, the United Specialties Co drum does have a comma after "New York" on the back cover, where as the Colt drums do not have any punctuation mark. So even though there is a comma after the period in "N.Y.," on the USCO drum back cover, the addition of the comma after "New York" distinguishes it from the Colt drums.

Richardson seems to be at odds with the notion any Worcester drums came with a bright steel rotor. The way rotors are swapped in and out on these pre WWII drums, it is difficult to say for sure what the deal is. Hill's book confuses a no "NO" marked drum with a Worcester drum, thereby making 4 types of Worcester drums when there are only three types. So the nickel rotor that Hill sees in what he believes to be a first pattern Worcester drum, is in fact a final Colt drum.

#22 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:29 PM

Arthur,

Thank you for the clarification about the unique comma after New York on the "Savage" drum. Your point is well-taken. Other than that, however, isn't the alignment and engraving of the Savage drums more like the Colt drums than the Worcester?

As to Tracie's confusion (apparently compounded by switched pictures in his book), I spoke with him last year concerning the various drum generations. He inspected my Worcester and definitely confirmed it as a 4th generation with the nickel rotor. He showed me his version of the 4th gen and they were identical, with all of the appropriate Worcester characteristics (not Colt). We may never have the definitive answer concerning nickel rotors in the Worcester drums, but a number of persons I have spoken to believe that the nickel rotor Worcesters were indeed a true variant.

Roger