• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 azdskin

azdskin

• Regular Group
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Collecting NFA weapons and accessories

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:55 PM

I am looking for some reading material on the Thompson SMG's. I found a couple of books on the subject but I dont want to spend the money if they are not worth a damn. One I found is published by Collector Grade and is called "Thompson: the American Legend - The First Submachine Gun", it sells for $85. The second book, "American Thunder, The Military Thompson" is sold out and the second edition will not be available till Oct. I am interested in both the military and commercial Thompsons.

No disrespect is ment to the Author of either books.

David in Iraq

#2 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1626 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

You really would need both if you are interested in Military.
I would start with Thompson:the American Legend which covers both Commercial and Military to whet your appetitie.

#3 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 03 September 2004 - 05:17 PM

azdskin,

Both books are a must.
Another that is relativley inexpensive is:
"The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar" by R. Helmer
Best, Zamm

#4 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 08:54 AM

azdskin,

If you can not wait, American Thunder may still be available from www.longmountain.com; FAC at 763-780-8780; or from Tracie Hill (buy both his book and American Thunder at the same time?) at 740-587-0755. Helmer's book should be on Amazon.

Read and learn but beware that the printer put some inadvertent errors in Hill's book.