- - - - -

Ww2 Thompson Photo In Color!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bfryar44

bfryar44

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Collector of WW2 U.S. Infantry Militaria items. European Theatre of Operations with emphasis on Normandy Campaign items and Battle of the Bulge items.<br><br>Wanted: Vehicles, Rations, clothing, weapons, helmets, field gear, demolition items, and personal gear.

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:18 AM

For all of my fellow Thompson fans out there, a WW2 color photo of a Thompson. Photo shows SSGT Masaru Suehire, from Honolulu, enjoying a meal of Army chow(yum,yum). Note the Thompson in his lap, she is still a beauty even though dusty from field use. SSGT. Suehire was a member of the famed 34th Infantry Division and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism while serving in Italy during the war. Enjoy
user posted image

#2 TommyFan

TommyFan

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 10:25 AM

bfryar44,

What a terrific photo! How did you come to know the name? What else can you tell us about the picture?
If I remember reading right, that unit was the most decorated in US history. Great bit of history!!!

John

#3 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:04 AM

I think the Nisei division that was most celebrated was the "Go For Broke" 442nd.

#4 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

Yeppers... They had a very high percentage of casualties.... Just visited the interment camp in NoCal, Manzanar, now a national monument, and they had some archival footage on the 442'nd.

#5 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Full auto weapons.

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:52 AM

Is that chow blink.gif what was refered to as SOS?

#6 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 05 September 2004 - 12:19 PM

That is one fantastic photo. I love seeing those things. The Thompson looks like it had done some talking recently. I know what you mean about that SOS. I've enjoyed some of that in the past. Good stuff!

#7 TSMGDEAN

TSMGDEAN

• Regular Group
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:17 PM

Great photo!

Looks like he is in training as there is no magazine in the gun.

#8 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

No need to have a mag in the gun right then, as no enemy soldier would kill to steal that food! Just kidding. Looks like good old American corned beef hash, re-warmed. Great pic. Any hot meal is good in the field, I'm sure.
I wonder what that is that seems to be tied around the front of the barrel? Makeshift sling? Looks too skinny for that. Any ideas???

Ron