Colt Patent Xx Mag.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:09 PM

Well, that helps.
So, thus far we have seen "wavy"hyphen correct date with the MSCO stamp and now Gijive with an incorrect patent date with the MSCO stamp.

That make thing interesting
Now Ron
you have a blank mag with no MSCO like mine but you say you have a "wavy hyphen" correct date like mine and a staight hyphen correct date .

What is inside those last two?

Murray the mad mag man.

#22 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:27 PM

The two repeat date mags (or what ever they are called) each are different.

One has the wavy line between the word "patented" and Aug. The font appears to be larger or deeper. It is stamped inside MSCO. I purchased this mag from a person who also sold me the unmarked mag. was advised came from Eastern PD?

The second mag has the "-" and is also stamped MSCO inside. The type not be a deep and have a smaller font. I purchased this mag with a selection of British mags. The holes had been leaded.

#23 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

I bought some patent dated magazines this week and I too have one that has this MSCO thingy on it. It has the August 20 date, then the August 24 date and then the Jan 11 date.

I also have the one with the Aug 24 twice, its not marked MSCO inside.

Are the MSCO ones rare or is that just another colt hoax?

#24 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4269 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

The rare, patent date markings prototype magazine has the following characteristics that can help to identify it:

The dash between "Patented" and "Aug..." is slightly slanted upwards to the right. The dash appears between the "9" and the "2" in "1920" on the line below it. "MSCO" is stamped on the inside of the bottom back of the magazine housing. If you look at a normal "AUG 24/24" patent date magazine, the dash appears directly above the "2" in "1920." Also, the prototype magazine has deeper engraving or stamping, whatever the method of marking is that was used. I'm not sure if it is a stamping, or an engraving. This is a point on which I have seen some variation of opinion.

I have corresponded with Murray Willis on this subject, and he informed me that since he found his prototype magazine, that he has learned of about 10-12 of them that exist in collector's hands at this time. I'm sure more are out there. I have 2 of them. I got one directly from The Sportsman's Guide, and the other from an individual who probably purchased it from the Sportsman's Guide as well.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#25 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

Yup, looks like another one. Not so rare after all. Dern, I was hoping this thing was worth something and was going to sell it. What do you think these things are worth?

#26 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2883 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:05 AM

John,
I really don't need any more Colt magazines but since I know it bothers you to own anything Colt related, I will gladly give you a couple of bucks for your Colt magazines. Again, I don' t need them, but I hate to see you fret about owning a product associated with Colt. Do you take PayPal biggrin.gif

#27 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

After looking up info on DR's Colt Navy buttstocks, I found his "prototype mag"ad, circa 1991:

"Patent Date Markings Prototype Magazine Pictured On Pages 38 & 39 Of My Book On Box Mags, Original & Probably The Only One. $250."

Oooops! This may be the only piece of Colt TSMG paraphernalia that has actually receded in value over time.

#28 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

John Jr.,

They are probably worth the same as any other patent dated mag. The prices seem to vary from $35 to $125, depending on condition and good old supply and demand.

As has already been concluded in this thread, this is not a prototype mag as originally thought, but rather one of the four variations of "Colt" XX mags (ignoring Shot mags).

Roger

#29 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:19 PM

Yeah. The guy who bought DR's "prototype" mag for $250 is only out $200? I am beginning to wonder about the XX rd blank mags now. There sure seem to be fewer of those than the repeat date mags, whether they have the positioning of the holes of the XXXrd mags or of the early XXrd ones.

#30 M-2 CARBINE

M-2 CARBINE

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hello

Add another one to the list i have a mag marked the same way as murray

#31 M-2 CARBINE

M-2 CARBINE

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:51 PM