Group Drum Buy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#1 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:02 PM

Thanks to everyone who participated in the L drum poll.

This group buy is for Kahr L drums only.

From 9/14/04 2:00 pm:

Some points to remember:
1- This is all speculative.

2- I hope those of you who posted “I’ll take…” messages voted, because that’s what will be counted.

3- While I appreciate the sentiment offered by some that I should make a profit on this endeavor, I committed to myself that I would do it as a service to the board. Expenses will have to be met, but it is a no profit venture. I may take a drum to offset expenses, but I ain’t doing it for the $$.

4- To those who have expressed concern about functionality; factory warranty obviously applies. If someone wanted to have their drum checked & tested prior to receipt, that work would be on the side.

Of general interest: I spoke with one of the higher up technicians at Kahr with whom I have established somewhat of a relationship (we both speak tech-no-ese) concerning the metal forming problems encountered with the older parts. He informed me that they had since made a sizable investment in new tooling to replace or repair the “crap” tooling they had gotten from NAC. I was assured that the new parts fit much better to themselves, as well as to the guns. We’ll see, but it was encouraging to hear.

I have been unable, thus far, to find a LE distributor with stock of “LE/export drums” to tap into. I doubted that many of these were made anyway- how many police departments could possibly have been in the market for new Thompson drums. If the new production turns out to be superior, it will perhaps be a blessing.

Next step: I will continue to get solid pricing and then post with details. We should be able to estimate within a few $. But shipping being what it is, some flexibility will be required. I imagine the next step would be submission of deposits during a fixed time frame and then the order could be placed.

9/14/04 5:00 pm

I just got off the phone with my primary distributor; good news and bad.

Bad: Because of high demand, drums will be allocated by Kahr until the pipeline is full. This means that we’ll get so many a month until production catches up with demand. I placed an order for 100 pieces based on faith and the response you guys provided, just to get our foot in the door.

Good: Looks like the price will fall out less than $200, delivered.

Please don’t e mail me to place an order yet- we are not ready. It may be November before shipments start to be made from the factory.

More detail to follow.

#2 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

PK, I'll take one or two, if legal in New York. rolleyes.gif As far as I know this would be legal in N.Y., as long as it is not considered newly manufactured. If someone can clear this up, I would appreciate it. I know, for example, that I can purchase any mags that are pre-ban. However, where do these fall, in the ever more confusing spectrum of legality? blink.gif Confused in N.Y. unsure.gif I know, I've got to get the hell out of N.Y.! cool.gif Regards, Walter

#3 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:24 PM

E-mail sent,...thanks Paul!

#4 SamG

SamG

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:56 PM

Well I voted yes,but I should tell you I'll take two.

#5 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:17 PM

I guess the question is, "are these newly manufactured or old stock, which has not yet been shipped?" blink.gif ph34r.gif

#6 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:13 PM

Walter,

The direction we are heading will be new production; there is evidence they will be of better quality than the old stock.

######

To all interested parties- may I reiterate: Please don’t e mail me to place an order yet- we are not ready. I am not keeping any lists at this point. Unless you have a specific question, I will simply hit the delete button. No offense intended, please understand

#7 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (PK. @ Sep 14 2004, 09:13 PM)
Walter,

The direction we are heading will be new production; there is evidence they will be of better quality than the old stock.

Thanks PK, that sounds like it would definitely make them illegal in N.Y.! blink.gif sad.gif Come to think of it, probably anything produced after Sept. 13, 1994, would be illegal in New York, due to our new State "Law Enforcement Protection and Assault Weapon Ban." This new law for N.Y. effectively picks up where the dead Federal Ban left off. mad.gif Regards, Walter

P.S. I think by next Summer I may very well reside in another state (maybe CO, MT, AK, or AZ). cool.gif

#8 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Walter63a @ Sep 14 2004, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (PK. @ Sep 14 2004, 09:13 PM)
Walter,

Thanks PK, that sounds like it would definately make them illegal in N.Y.! blink.gif sad.gif Come to think of it, probably anything produced after Sept. 13, 1994, would be illegal in New York, due to our new State "Law Enforcement Protection and Assault Weapon Ban." This new law for N.Y. effectively picks up where the dead Federal Ban left off. mad.gif Regards, Walter

P.S. I think by next Summer I may very well reside in another state (maybe CO, MT, AK, or AZ). cool.gif

man, i feel bad for you. why not take a step south? Pa isn't that bad, and the winters aren't near as bad. biggrin.gif

#9 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Brian, maybe PA would be a good choice at that! blink.gif biggrin.gif Regards, Walter

#10 wildwilly2002

wildwilly2002

• Regular Group
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:57 PM

Walter, AZ is a great place to live! Been here over 20 yrs. Great weather and the gun laws are acceptable. Would love to hav ya!

#11 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:03 PM

Thanks wildwilly2002!!! smile.gif My parents really liked their time in AZ also. biggrin.gif Who knows, there are so many beautiful places in the USA with better gun laws than New Yorkistan! blink.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#12 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:11 PM

PK--
I didn't notice the voting part. If not too late, please add my vote to the order.

#13 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:42 AM

PK,

the price of possibly under 200 sounds great!!

I'll take 1....

#14 dallasboy_75287

dallasboy_75287

• Regular Group
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:21 AM

The wait sucks, but the price is great news. I may have to consider 3 drums instead of two.

Edited by dallasboy_75287, 15 September 2004 - 11:23 AM.

#15 Brkdnc

Brkdnc

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (PK. @ Sep 14 2004, 06:02 PM)

2- I hope those of you who posted “I’ll take…” messages voted, because that’s what will be counted.

Where do you vote?
Because I would like to be added to the list to buy 1

#16 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:12 AM

Well I voted but never posted so here's my post .. I'll take two.

#17 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:50 AM

I closed the poll after soliciting information for 27 hours. No more votes will be required- we obtained the information needed to solidify the price and make a commitment to the distributor.

The next time you vote will be with your checkbook. In the future (NOT NOW) I will post advising that we are ready to take deposits and will do so for a fixed period (probably 2 weeks). Payment of the deposit is what will put you on the list and get you a drum. This is likely to occur in mid to late October.

That’s my best predication at this time folks, I hope it helps.

Keep an ear to the ground.

#18 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:13 PM

THANKS PK!!!

Keep us posted and let me know if I can be of any help with shipping. I'll check into shipping costs, etc anyway and will render my findings rolleyes.gif whenever you get ready to order.

john

#19 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:08 PM

Walter,
I believe our High Cap and AWB took effect as a NY law in 2000.
I may be wrong, but I don't think so.
Effectivly, that would clear the decks for us from 1994-2000.
Again, we need to check it out.
Zamm

#20 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:52 PM

Zamm, thanks for that bit of information. I wasn't exactly sure on when it took effect. I do remember it passing and I do remember thinking, that is a typical liberal NYS move (and it won't affect the crime rate at all)!!! blink.gif sad.gif Isn't it funny how inspite of all the extra gun laws, crime laws, law enforcement protection acts, etc., in places like New York, the District of Columbia, California and Illinois, they always have the highest crime rates, per capita, in the whole USA. laugh.gif ph34r.gif Regards, Walter