22 replies to this topic

#21 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:49 AM

AZ Duug,
The Colt TSMG's that Earl sold Doug Champlin for the fighter museum were really in poor condition, except for the Midas gun. The other WWII TSMG's, machine guns and smg's, especially the BAR's and the Colt monitor, were much better examples. It seemed as if Earl sort of gilded the lily with the 9mm and the Midas guns and then rounded out the Colt TSMG display with examples that didn't even have Colt parts and had poor finishes. Their condition wouldn't be a consideration if these particular weapons had a personal historical significance, but Earl knew that his better examples would command better money if sold individually to collects.

#22 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:18 AM

Question on the Champlin guns:

I have heard that Earl raped Champlin on the guns, and he (Champlin) ended up selling them at a loss, but I have also heard that Champlin didn't make out that bad on the sale. I do agree that i have seen better condition Colt TSMG's than were in the museum. IIRC, some of the WWII TSMG's had higher price tags than the Colts, maybe as high as $6.5- $7K, but this was 8-9 years ago, so i can't recall all the details.

Does anybody know the real story?

Doug

#23 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:59 AM

Colt had nothing to do with the Navy, AC, or 1927 versions of the original 15,000 TSMG's.

After all these years he finally admits it.

Nice gun philasteen (good price too)

Jr