Photo
- - - - -

If You Could Get A New C Drum

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Which system would you prefer? (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Which system would you prefer?

1. Original spring retaining system (4 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

2. New, break resistant spring retaining system (96 votes [96.00%])

Percentage of vote: 96.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded, your input has been inspiring.

It has been very interesting watching this thread develop. It has also been difficult to remain aloof and not respond to various aspects of it.

Now it’s time to come clean, at least a bit. I am not tooling up or considering doing so, I have far to much to do at this time making Tommy’s purr. I posted this thread at the request of an associate who is in a unique position to service this market and has been laboring diligently to come to a decision as to what to do. That decision will be made this week and either he or I will post and advise if the project is committed.

If the decision is to proceed, it will be undertaken with all haste and I have no doubt that the outcome will be of significant quality.

Stay tuned.

#42 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

If GH needed to charge $275(?) for a tiny tin box without any moving parts, it would seem unlikely that a newly manufactured and "improved" version of the C drum could be sold for under $400 unless there was enough demand for them to have them produced in the 1000's.

You are comparing apples and oranges here Arthur. Most Thompson owners don't want some empty silly altoids tin box. Most of us would like to have a nice 100 round "C" drum for under 5 bills. A working "C" drum would be useful as opposed to a tin box useful for storing hen’s teeth. biggrin.gif And since we know you are not going to buy one, go hijack somebody elses thread.

Jr

#43 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:20 PM

Yea!! biggrin.gif Hurray!! tongue.gif There has not been much to cheer about lately; but this just could be it, by George!! blink.gif laugh.gif Regards, Walter

P.S. I hope that the individual who decides to tool-up does make a profit, and yet provides a quality product for a reasonable price. I certainly would be interested in one or two of both the L and C drums! :-)

#44 Wayne W

Wayne W

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:47 PM

Yes I'd probably get a least one with new springs. I've been wanting to get a C drum for shooting but just couldn't find one for sale when I had the money.

#45 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:46 PM

So, is an original C Drum still worth $3,500?

If so, then basically someone could sell it for 3 new (working) repros and still have $1500 to purchase an extra L Drum some mags, 1000 rounds of ammo, a few cases of beers and still have cash.

Or maybe just 1 C Drum and have $3000 for a new BIG SCREEN TV!!!! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif cool.gif

#46 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:24 PM

JohnJr-

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Bravo! I am tired of people raining on my parade. I want to shoot, not have a safe queen drum to handle with gloves.

Chris.

#47 The Virginian

The Virginian

• Regular Group
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:47 AM

biggrin.gif IF your friend starts to make them, I would now buy atleast 3.

PK, please let him know that there is a significant market for these parts. I'm sure you have thought about this already, but you could add "Fit 100 round C drum to your Thompson" and a price. I sure hope he does start making them.

#48 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:20 AM

I spoke with the principle involved with the C drum project yesterday- 95% committed.

I expect this will fly, a final decision is due by Monday, he says he will post. The project also includes L drums, but they will not be available for the group buy.

C drums are a wonderful thing, I can’t wait!

#49 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2086 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:54 AM

PK -
Did they ever come up with a "C" drum ballpark price? I know there are numbers flying around here, but I want to hear it from you!

#50 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:20 AM

Yes, the numbers have been flying around free, loose and unsupported.

I have been appraised of the projected price but am not at liberty to disclose that number. I believe it has been diligently researched, but it’s still a bit early.

Let’s just say that if it proves to be accurate, you will be very pleased. Heck, I’ll even be able to afford one!

#51 45fan

45fan

• Regular Group
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:08 PM

Put me down for a couple if reasonably priced!

#52 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Full auto weapons.

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:16 PM

C dums, hot off the press. That will be SUUUWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!!!! laugh.gif

#53 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (45fan @ Sep 24 2004, 12:08 PM)
Put me down for a couple if reasonably priced!

Indeed, if reasonably priced, I will be buying also. How many that will be I don't know. We'll see. Anyway, get them while the getting is good folks! Just got to LOVE the look of the "C" Drum! smile.gif

#54 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

Just got to LOVE the look of the "C" Drum!

Yes, I do; but I can't say they same for the weight of a "C" drum when it is loaded! blink.gif

Who is going to make "C" drums?"

Norm

#55 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:28 PM

I'd be interested!

Everyone has to realize that any drum made today would likely be a bit lesser quality than an original, and even if they are excellent quality they will still not be originals.
That said, even the LEO drums are collectible. These are drums from an era where Hi-caps were once banned for all but the police and Military. They are already a piece of history, just as Westies are!
And any new "C" drums made by Thompson would become part of the history surrounding this company.
SO, if we are thinking about having "C" drums made by Kahr (??just a guess?? wink.gif ) then we may as well go with an improved design as most of these will be shooters anyway, right?

Just my .02 worth....

john

#56 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (john @ Sep 24 2004, 05:28 PM)
I'd be interested!

Everyone has to realize that any drum made today would likely be a bit lesser quality than an original, and even if they are excellent quality they will still not be originals.

If I'm correct about my belief who the individual is involved with producing these new "C" Drums, the quality will exceed that of an Original by far. Also, "THOMPSON" isn't producing these, as you mentioned. I believe you may have meant Karh, as they go by "Auto-Ordnance". However, Karh is in no way connected to the original Auto-Ordnance of yeasteryear.

#57 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:42 PM

I obviously haven't been paying attention to the "C" drum deal but from what has been written-if they run right and don't cost an arm and a leg (current reail on an arm is $450 and a Leg $600 (haaha)) then I am also game for several "C"'s also, probably 3-4 in addition tothe L's in the group buy, just as soon store my 45 ammo in un-wound drums as in boxes/cases laying about.

M

#58 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:39 AM

Lionhart, you are correct.
What I meant was Kahr (AKA Auto-Ordnance) but my statement still holds true. Whomever makes these....they will historically become a piece of Thompson Lore.

Look at all the contractors who made mags for the M16. They are all correct even though they don't say "Colt" on the floorplate.

And TSMG mags by Seymour and Crosby......

My point about quality refers to the cost of tooling for a decent drum. If Kahr had wanted to do it right originally they would have had to spend a bit more. I'm sure that these could easily be made much better but is the earning potential worth the cost to whomever takes this project on??

Personally, I hope so, because I'd like a few rerally NICE drums!!! wink.gif

Will the quality drive the price? Definitely.
Kinda like GHs parts boxes. Many here have no concept of the tens of thousands of dollars that a set of stamping and forming dies cost to make nowadays. If you think Gordon asks too much for his boxes, take a picture of one to a metal stamping shop and ask for an estimate to make a couple hundred. And then there is the finishing process......For what was done, these boxes are a bargain!
Drums of superb quality will cost more (and the dies have a limited life....they wear out eventually). But I'd rather pay more for quality and love to use the product than save a couple bucks and curse the day I bought it in the first place!!!

john

#59 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 25 September 2004 - 10:50 AM

Gee, I go out of town for a week and miss all the excitment. PK. I'll take two C drums. Kevin

#60 chopper21

chopper21

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:22 PM

I've been on the road too. I am certainly interested in getting one of these critters and will be haunting this board for word from the fellow who will produce it about ordering one.