Shotshell Mags

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2061 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:16 AM

Anyone have any idea where I can find one of these? I only need 1 - and it need not be in great shape.
Also - were there any made for wartime use? Or should all of them be like the patent date - but with the 18 shotshell stamped on them?

#2 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

Can't help you on finding one, but don't be surprised if you have to part with a fair amount of $$. The last price I saw on one was $600. That's a bit rich for my blood.

My understanding is that the shot mags were only pre-WWII, probably only in the 1920's. They were a relative bust for both the shot cartridges and the Remington-Thompson cartridges (see the latest TCN, #155). That's probably the reason that it is not uncommon to find them with little usage wear. According to the article in TCN #130 - August 15, 2001, there were three versions: a blank mag; a patent date version marked "FOR SHOT CARTRIDGES"; and a patent date version marked "FOR 18 SHOT CARTRIDGES". As you are probably aware, each is slightly deeper than the standard XX mag.

Roger

#3 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2061 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Roger,

My books are at home, and I just made a deal for about 20 or more cartridges in with a whole mess of .45 ammo. I should have waited but my previous post about what they look like had Deerslayer reply showing a WWII cartridge (look at the headstamp). That is why I was asking if a WWII mag may have existed.

#4 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:42 PM

I purchased one several months ago from Jerry Prasser for $600. - he may still have one left. His phone is 920 922-1515 - great person to deal with.

#5 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2061 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:40 AM

WOW!

Too steep for me too at this time. I assume that comes with a box or two of the shotshells!

Any idea what the individual shells are going for?

#6 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:19 PM

I have seen empty boxes go for $100. - no shells, just the box