Jump to content

- - - - -

Obtaing A Kahr M1 Sbr... Options?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snoova


    New Member

  • Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:36 PM

I have been looking to getting a Kahr Thompson SBR and after much
searching and talking to various people I have 2 ways to go about this and
I am not sure which is better. I am requesting input on the opinions on
my options.

First I have noticed that the 16" barrel thompson is listed on kahr's
website with a MSRP of $1041.00 but they sell for brand new at various
places at $800-$850. Now the 10.5" is listed with a MSRP of $1352.00, so
if I do the math I should be able to get that for at most $1200.00 or so
somewhere (if someone can recommend a dealer that carries SBR's I would
appreciate it). I then looked at the MSRP for the 10.5" barrel on the
website which is $175. Now let's say I get the 16" tommy and buy the
10.5" barrel that would mean about a total cost of about $1000 and I
would have a spare barrel and I don't see how having a gunsmith install
the 10.5" barrel could be more than $200 dollars, so this seems to be the
way to go (plus I would have a spare barrel). Plus I would not have to
wait 3-6 months to have the Tommy in my posesstion (would have to wait to
buy the 10.5" barrel of course).

Secondly I would be transfering the gun to my corp and if the corp was
going to dissolve for whatever reason I could put the 16" barrel back on,
get rid of the 10.5" barrel and notify the BATF that it was no longer SBR.
The other possiblity is maybe at that point in time I will live in a
county that has a CLEO that would sign the form 4 and transfer it to me
from the company.

I guess what it boils down to is if I can find someone that is Selling the
SBR's for under $1200 I will probably go that route other wise I see
getting a 16" converted to a SBR as a better choice.

Thank you for you opions in advance biggrin.gif
  • 0



    Long Time RKI Member

  • Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:14 PM

Best bet is to find a used '27/M1 and modify it. Why pay retail, when reasonably priced used one's appear from time to time?
  • 0

#3 Scouts out

Scouts out

    Long Time Member

  • Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:37 PM

Another option : Why can't the gunsmith just shorten the stock 16" barrel and reattach the comp? That might be even cheaper.
  • 0

#4 TN.Frank


    Regular Member

  • Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Location:Crossville,TN.
  • Interests:Hockey, firearms, Hockey, Drag Racing,Hockey,Bull Riding, and Hockey.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:10 PM

From what I understand once it's registered as a SBR it's always an SBR even if you put the longer barrel back on. I may be wrong but I don't think so. A 3rd option, since you'll have to wait for the AFT to approve the SBR would be to get a used Tompson and send it off to PK to tweek for you, while he had it you could apply for the SBR, pay the tax and pray that they'd not take long to approve you. When you get your paperwork send it off to PK and let him install the short barrel on your gun and then send it back to you. This would kill two birds with one stone because while he's working on the action and getting it into shape your paperwork will be processed then once it thru he can make the gun a SBR at which point it'll be shipped back to you. If I was going to put money into a SBR Thompson this is the way that I'd go because there's a good chance that once you wait and get a Khar SBR you have to send it off for an action job anyway. JMHO. cool.gif
  • 0