1926 Collier's Article And Editorial

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:48 AM

You could almost change the dates and references to Thompson machinegun and swap in AWB and you have our most recent anti-gun activity.

I posted to my website under the literature section this article and editorial.

I hope you enjoy not sure how much more I can afford to have scans made of large sized documents like this, since they do not fit on my personal scanner.

Colt Tommygunner Cyber Museum website - Literature section

#2 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:21 AM

Sig,

Thanks for posting that article. It proves one thing more than what you were trying to show. That they knew there was a "secret" serial number on the Thompson and they didn't need to use acid to "bring up" the ground off numbers on the St Valentine's Gun......

#3 Bob B

Bob B

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 01:23 PM

WONDERFUL bit of memorabilia, Sig! Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to scan this and put it up.

Absolutely amazing that Thompson would have been so naive as to reveal to a national readership the existence of "secret" serial numbers. Didn't he figure out that when you reveal a secret it's no longer a secret? Reminds me of that hilarious "Failure to grasp the concept" literary competition a few years ago. Wonder how long it took the bad guys to find the location of the "secret" number after this disclosure - 10 minutes? 15?

Hawkeye - They probably DID need acid to bring up the numbers on the Valentines Day guns. That was a couple of years AFTER Thompson let the cat out of the bag.

Edited by Bob B, 09 October 2004 - 01:28 PM.

#4 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:11 PM

I think I read that they checked the "secret" location under the grip rail on the barrel and found the serial number intact. So actually they didn't look.. or they never read Collier's

#5 Bob B

Bob B

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:55 PM

Heh heh, wouldn't be the first time the obvious or simple solution was ignored in favor of something a lot more complicated or speculative! "But I saw who did it." "Don't bother me now, can't you see I'm trying to analyze this cigarette butt for teeth impressions?" biggrin.gif